Episode 13: Getting Political

Just because she'd dropped out of the matches for an injury didn't mean she was going to miss the spectacle. She slept in until ten, hopped over to Zebulon to feed the flock and mostly check on Forest's bandages (they needed changing), and only went back to Aegis when Yoyo's little text message told everyone to get moving.

It was the beginning of a bad time when Parrisol's voice carried over the ruckus of the duelists lined up to enter, calling her name. Calder pretended she didn't hear. She offered her ID card to the security guard, and a different hand reached into the crowd, grabbed her wrist, and yanked her out.

"I know you heard me," Parrisol said. She kept talking as Calder regained a stable connection with the ground. "Jade's been meaning to have a serious talk with you for a while, and just never got around to it."

"Yeah? And what if there's a team counting on me to pull my weight?" Calder retorted, waving an arm in the direction of the big clump of people jostling each other for the spot at the door.

"Nobody fights Gildedguy and gets away with an injury they can fight with the next morning," Parrisol said coolly. "Not even Jade."

Calder grumbled. Parrisol refused to even blink, it seemed. Being tasked with watching the draconic renegade had apparently taught her a few things over the last three months.

The renegade in particular made a show of sighing resignedly and dragging out the single syllable of 'fiiiiine' as long as possible.

Parrisol had to concentrate a little to create portals (who didn't?), and Calder took the opportunity to kick the other girl in the shin and bolt like her ass was on fire.

She put her foot in another portal and wound up faceplanting on a tile floor. Somebody sighed more heavily than Calder had done just ten seconds ago.

"Why is it never easy with you?" Jade demanded. Calder allowed herself another moment to sulk on the floor and waited until she could hear Parrisol's feet land nearby before responding.

"Have you met my family?" she asked, propping her elbow on the floor and her cheek on her fist. "And I'm assuming that's what this is about, since we haven't talked face-to-face since there was legal stuff to deal with."

Jade's expression betrayed nothing. "Correct," she said. "As you know--because you were there--some of my clan's transport equipment was commandeered and destroyed during your altercation with the bounty hunter sent by your clan. When they started breathing down my back to give you up, I used that destruction of property as a threat to keep them at bay. However, that was months ago, and your clan is getting bold and annoying again."

"Never stopped." Calder supplied. She'd made it to sitting cross-legged. "And please don't call them 'my clan.' I hate them too, y'know."

Jade stared at her. "I don't think you understand the politics of this arrangement," She said. "If they decide to collect allies and convince them that I kidnapped a political figure and held you for ransom, Clan Nemesis is in big trouble!"

"The Karayu-Draconis doesn't collect allies," Calder said, finally standing. She counted off on her fingers, "the only things they do are raise taxes, kiss the ass of the council leader, psychologically fuck up their children and lie. There will be no allies. Nobody would willingly become allies with them."

"How can you know that? There's no way to predict-"

"I lived there for eighteen years." Jade closed her mouth. The draconic leaned in, scowling. "I learned everything I needed to." She pulled back and turned away.

"You're avoiding this," Jade said.

"Course I am," Calder retorted. "You think I want anything to do with them for the rest of my life? They don't know where I am, and it can stay that way forever thank you very much."