Clockwork Heart Chapter Two (unedited)

Chapter Two

Sir Henry Lamb was late.

It was what came to mind first as Millicent, now decked out in a show of her father’s wealth and need to impress - a silk taffeta gown from the finest seamstress in the city - and stared pointedly at the front door. And the man was late.

She didn’t care how unladylike it was, she spent the next few minute huffing and puffing indignantly as she paced the length on the drawing room which had been prepared with utmost care so that it reflected the family well. In plainer terms, the walls were lined with bookshelves which held the rarest tomes money could buy but despite the obvious wealth the furniture exuded, the place felt very stark and bare. If her father had allowed her to hang at least one portrait in the room it might have made a difference but as it was, the place was functional and opulent. It held no life.

“Stop pacing, if you don’t sit down and prepare yourself for his arrival Miss Clancy, I will tell you all about the mechanics your father was talking about so you will blush your way through the meeting.” Ms Wright sniffed and looked down at her nails. “Then the poor man will think you are positively in love with him and come back for more visits and probably offer you a proposal.”

Millie opened and closed her mouth, her feet stilling as her eyes widened in the sheer horror of the thought. Gulping loudly, her feet tripped over themselves before throwing her body into the nearest armchair. It was as far from perfectly ladylike as she could get, with her shoulders drooped and her head resting upon her chest but the corset kept her posture straight and the skirts hid the fact that the young woman was sitting much like her father would. Thus when a man strode abruptly into the room without announcing his presence in a flurry of pipe smoke and a billowing tail coat, his eyes fell upon the wilting flower.

“Cheer up Lady Clancy, such a beautiful young woman should not look so positively miserable.”

Millie tried to stop the laugh that welled within her throat which caused her to splutter and cough until her face was as red as the cook’s favourite tomatoes.

Ever the woman of propriety, Emma stood from her chair in a graceful sweep and offered the man a warm smile though only someone who knew the woman as well as Millie would have noted that the twitching in her cheek was due to her own attempt at restraining laugher.

“Sir Lamb, it is an honour to meet you.” She lowered herself in a demure curtsey that would make even the Queen proud before rising and meeting the odd man’s gaze.

For Sir Henry Lamb was most definitely an odd character. His face was starting to show the first signs of age and yet the eyes, which were the colour of the first leaves of spring, held an eternal youth that burned brighter than any other part of his being. His clothing was made of the finest fabrics that money could buy and yet they were worn and well loved, with eccentric embellishments which told of the man’s multitude of tastes. But most definable in his looks were the things the man had become known for all over town, the rather sizeable mutton chops that framed his face. It gave him a rugged and yet powerful grace about him despite his disposition to be flighty and follow where his fancies take him.

“And it is an honour to meet you too my Lady.”  He pulled the smouldering pipe from his lips and placed his warm dry lips on the back of her hand.

The scent of his pipe clung to him like a second skin, overwhelming the room with its sweet odour that was so unlike the tobacco that Mr Clancy favoured. For once the governess did not wrinkle her nose and flinch when she felt his breath washing over the back of her hand.

“And may I introduce you to the Lady of the house Miss Millicent Clancy.”

Stepping aside regally, the movement allowed the eccentric looking man to set his green eyes upon the young woman. Millie made no effort to appear welcoming thus the man faltered in his smile when he saw the scowl she sent his way. All too quickly, when she noted his reaction, the Lady of the house gave his the most angelic expression that had ever appeared on her features.