Clockwork Heart Chapter 5

(please keep in mind that none of this has been edited or proof read. It remains unchanged from when I wrote it during last years nano. So please note that there will be typos and grammatical errors. I apologise in advance.)

Chapter Five

 The next morning dawned brighter than it had for several weeks. Sun filtered through the gaps in the curtains, falling upon the lonely occupant sat upon the bed. Millie Clancy sighed and rolled away. There were dark rings around her eyes and she felt the urge to yawn every few seconds but nothing would let her sleep. Every time she tried, the blonde would startle into terrified consciousness as blood, gore or her father’s distressed face would appear in her mind.

When she could not take the stillness any more, she threw the blankets back and rolled herself from her bed. It took her a moment to orientate herself before she stumbled though the gloom towards her wardrobe. Quickly removing an outfit her father would not approve of, Millie got dressed.

Exiting her room in a pair of breeches that had once belonged to Percy, a long shirt and a flexible corset she tiptoed down the corridor and headed for the lesser used exit. The servants knew that she left the house on her own but usually her father wasn’t around to know if she were missing. He probably wouldn’t know then if she left because he was obviously unwell but she decided to stay on the side of caution. An angry father was never good for anyone in the household.

Taking the service stairs which led down into the kitchen, Millie peeked around every corner before she turned and made sure that every move she made was quiet. Even her breathing was nothing more than a soft whisper, lost over the clutter and bang of the kitchen staff in the morning. She was almost out of the rear entrance when she saw Percy. He was leant against the back wall, his eyes closed as he waited.

Millie shook her head and resisted the chuckle that wanted to escape. He always knew.

Closing the door softly behind her, the young Clancy then flew over the grass that separated her from her friend. She heard one of the windows open on the house as it gave a great creaking lurch before banging open. Millie winced and ducked her head as she ran before shooting a tentative glance over her shoulder. Ms Wright had stuck her head out of her bedroom window and was frowning at her retreating back. And yet she didn’t say anything, she just raised a hand and waved before focusing on the man whose direction I was running in and sending him a nod.

She knew that direction and embraced it, sending a polite wave in return before picking up the pace.

Percy tried to smile when she finally reached him but it wavered. Instead, he stretched out his arms and pulled her into a firm hug that the teen didn’t even know that she needed. But she did and as he held her tightly she felt a few more tears leak from her eyes and dampen her cheeks.

“Thanks Cogs,” she whispered, pushing back enough so that she could stare up into his dark eyes. He nodded but didn’t say a word.

It took a few minutes until she could compose herself but the man, who looked a little worse for wear himself, stood up straight and held her the entire time.

“Better?” He questioned as she dried he cheeks and then proceeded to shake out her limbs. The blonde nodded her head in response.

“Let’s go. I don’t want to be here at all today.”

Nodding his head in acceptance, Percy crouched low, weaving his fingers together to form a cradle for her foot like he had the day before, and gave the slender woman a boost over the wall. It was easier to get out this way as Percy’s height and strength allowed him to simply jump and pull himself over the wall, Millie usually relied upon the tree some twenty metre away but usually came out the other side with scratched and scrapes upon her arms and legs.