Clockwork Heart Chapter 17.5 RIPPER

Ripper

The man lied. There was a heart and it was so close – so close that the Ripper could almost touch it. The hooded figure would have salivated if it could. Instead it could only frown and snort in derision as it watched the bumbling automaton stumble through the makeshift circus ring while people called out for it to do something.

Rolling its eyes under its hood in derision, the Ripper wanted to look away but there was an urge within it to not look away. If it looked away, the Ripper would lose its heart again and would spend the rest of its life killing and hunting for its heart. At least the metal man was difficult to lose as it shone like the sun and was taller than any human within the vicinity.

When they left, to much disappointment and fanfare, the Ripper made its move. Darting between the onlookers, it scrambled into the shadows and quickly used the cover to climb onto the lower shacks lining the field where the market was held. Careless of the ruckus they were making the Ripper followed behind the retreating group until they reached the building. There were no windows or extra exits – only one door that led into the space.

Weighing up their need and the risks, the Ripper did the irrational thing. Leaping from the roof, the figure fell through the air landing onto the cobbled and dirt strewn streets with a thud. They paused, head tilted to the side as they waited and listened but no one came to investigate. They might have thought it strange but the Ripper was focused wholly and intently on what lay beyond that door.

With two steps and a swift kick, the Ripper used all of its force against the door. It groaned and buckled inwards before slamming off the interior walls so hard the entire building trembled. The only problem the hooded figure had was there were no sounds within. No yelping or terrified screaming. It was strangely silent.

Pulling back their cowl to reveal the golden locks hidden beneath, the Ripper stepped forwards to investigate.