ross

You don't realize you're used to a regular habit until it's been disturbed.

For me, it was when I went back to an empty bed. No Laura, no sleep-that's just the way life was for a long time.

So trust me, it's almost more foreign to have my bed occupied again. Almost.

I turn to my side absentmindedly before I feel a figure colliding with my arm. That jolts me out of my half asleep state.

"Ah finally." I hear a voice very faintly, "You're awake! Good morning baby."

"Laur, give me 5 minutes and I promise-"

"Laur?"

My eyes open as I feel my stomach drop, "Jaz?"

"Why do you sound surprised?"

That's when it hits me.

"Oh my god." Am I upset? Do I want to groan? Have I betrayed Laura? So many thoughts, so little sense being made, "Did we?"

She raises her eyebrows with a unamused look on her face. She gets up from my bed as the covers drop off her body, leaving me to view her naked body.

"JAZ!" I exclaim as I shut my eyes almost as quickly as she stood up, "Please put some clothes on."

"Fine." She sighs. I can't quite read her tone; if she's amused or upset with me, "So you wanna get breakfast?"

Suddenly, I know the morally right thing to do is to tell her no, get it over with. But at this moment, I don't quite trust my conscience, so I decide to bluff.

"Gimme a sec to check my phone in case I'm busy?" I try.

She seems to buy it as she shrugs and takes a seat on my bed again, "Alright. Don't take too long though."

She winks before leaning towards my face. My eyes widen as I understand what she's trying to put down. I jolt backwards, leaving her stunned.

"My breath." I try giving her a sheepish smile. She rolls her eyes before catching me off guard by pecking my lips.

She seems pleased as she drops backwards onto my bed. I quickly get out of my bed, only before I realize that I myself am also naked. I look around the perimeter of the bed, trying to find at least a pair of boxers to put on. It's impossible to not catch Jaz's sinister smirk as she watches me foolishly look around my own room for a pair of fucking boxers.

"By your dresser." I can hear her smirk in her voice.

"Thanks." I mumble as I awkwardly waddle like a penguin towards my boxers. I swiftly take my phone resting on my dresser and rush out of my room, towards my kitchen.

"Rylandddd." I groan as my phone continues to wait for my youngest brother to pick up. As a consequence of me not taking any clothes with me, I look around for anything for warmth. I find a jacket resting on top of my couch. As I reach for it, I hear a faint "hello?" from my phone, left resting on my kitchen island. In an attempt to swiftly take the jacket, I slip on my carpet. As a result, I bang my head against my couch, and as if that wasn't enough, the jacket's zipper scratches the top of my cheek. Now that's gonna sting for at least a week.

"Ryland! Are you alone?"

"Why are y-"

"Never mind, no time. I accidentally slept with Jaz last night and now I've got a probably still naked Jaz in my bed waiting for me because she thinks we're going on a breakfast date and doesn't know that I'm still hung up on Laura and trying to figure out what to do with my feelings for her because she thought I defended the exact woman that's resting in my sheets."

"Ross." I hear my brother sigh on the phone.

"I know it's bad-"

"YOU THINK?" I suddenly hear a feminine screech on the other side.

"Sav-"

"NO ROSS YOU LISTEN. I tried to be as neutral as I could for you and Laura but when you pull shit like this it becomes a discussion on just plain out being a good person. You broke Laura's heart, and I'm truly sorry she did the same; but you don't just get to get away with treating Laura like that by PROVING HER POINT THAT YOU STILL CARE FOR YOUR EX? DO YOU REALIZE HOW INSULTING THAT IS? I JUST-GOSH I DON'T EVEN KNOW HOW MUCH MORE I CAN TRY TO GET THROUGH YOUR DENSE HEAD-"

"Sav!" I tentatively cut her off, "It's no excuse I know. But Ry told me-"

"Told you what?"

God I just do not win today.

"I-uh-"

"I told him he needs a distraction." I hear Ryland's voice answer.

"RYLAND MICHAEL, WHY THE FUCK?"

"Call me later." Is the last I hear from Ryland before I hear beeps ring, signalling he hung up.

I take a deep sigh before collecting myself to drink some water. I start to walk towards my hall until I see Jaz's body hunched up in my couch.

"Hey."

"I heard everything."

"Oh."

"Should've known." She lets out a dry chuckle as she perches up, "Came out to get my jacket, but I didn't wanna disturb your call."

"Jaz-"

"You never loved me did you?"

I open my mouth, but she stops me before any sound can escape my lips, "No lying."

I sigh in defeat, as I have already done multiples times today before answering her. "No. I'm sorry."

I start to see tears swell in her eyes as she nods slowly, as if processing my words. I start to inch closer to her, but she just moves further away from me on the couch, so I remain in my position.

"Should've known. You know I honestly thought we'd work out? T's why I tried so hard when you were with her. I thought that if you saw that I wasn't giving up on us, you would realize you shouldn't do the same. But my heart was never yours, even when we were together. It was always Laura's. I'm just some sorry place holder."

"Jaz please don't say that." When I continue to move closer, she doesn't object. I take that as my signal and opportunity to sit on the farthest side from her on my sofa, "When we were together, I didn't regret anything. I was with you completely. But we started to drift, and you just wouldn't talk to me. I found someone that would, and she's all I think and care about."

I hear her softly choke back a sob, but she carries on, "I'm sorry, really. I understand that I gave you guys a ton of shit to work through, but I just really loved you Ross. I didn't wanna loose you so I told myself if I had to be a bitch, I would. God, I just look at you and I'm reminded about how much I loved you back then, and now."

I can't meet her eyes because we both know I can't reciprocate her feelings. She knows, proven by her sobs finally breaking out of their tough hold, as she scrambles to get her jacket and purse.

"We don't have to do the friends thing either." I can hear her voice cracking as she opens my front door, back towards me, as she leaves my place.

tbh, prob coulda done WAY better but this is the best yall are getting LOL so I hope this is ok?! As always tho, PLS lmk what you guys think! It helps me tremendously!!!

I should also warn y'all, if you guys hate me for not updating, you're definitely gonna hate me for updating in the next few chapters LMFAO

*ALSO ISNT EDITED CUZ IM THE LAZIEST PERSON TO EVER BREATHE*