Chapter 4

Hunter Whitlock

"Elemental Whitlock, the department of health sent over their approval for the trial phase, it just needs your signature," my secretary said as he walked into my office, a few papers held in hand. "I also have Miss. Jensen on the line for you," he added with unease.

I couldn't blame him. He had been giving her vague responses on my behalf for a few days now. He must have thought the worst of me by now. Especially since she was probably more unpleasant than usual with how long it had been since I had spoken to her last.

Closing my laptop, I grabbed the papers from him. Giving the paperclipped stack a quick scan, I signed my name. I knew what was written on the pages already.  It had been over a year since we had been waiting for this approval. I wasn't going to waste any more time putting it into effect.

"Thank you, Spencer," I said, handing him the papers back. "Tell the office they can head out early tonight in celebration. Drinks are on me," I added, opening the top drawer of my desk and grabbing my company card.

"Thank you, Elemental Whitlock!" He beamed as he took the offered plastic. It dimmed a bit, though, before he asked his next question. "What about Miss. Jensen?"

My own joy at the approval dimmed at the mention of my girlfriend. I rose from my seat. Grabbing my jacket off the back of it, I draped it over my arm."Tell Ruby I'm busy working late tonight," I said as I pulled out my phone.

Me: I'm headed over. I'll be there in 15.

I pressed send before pocketing the device again and grabbing my keys off off the desk.

He looked a bit uneasy at my instructions but nodded his head regardless. This wouldn't have been the first time I asked him to lie for me.

He made his way out of my office. I followed behind but paused as my phone vibrated in my pocket.

Darren: Bring whiskey. I'm out.

I snorted in amusement at the demand. Turning back from the door, I grabbed a bottle off the rarely used cart in my office before making my way out onto the busy floor bustling with the excitement of the latest news. I was met with beaming smiles and congratulatory words as I made my way to the elevator.

* * *

I pressed the screen lock button, stopping my phone from vibrating further as Ruby's name appeared on the screen again. I sighed as I pocket it. This was the third time she had called since I had left the office. I had sent a message backing up the excuse I had given Spencer earlier, but it seemed she had chosen to disregard it.

When the elevator dinged, indicating I had reached Darren's floor, I stepped out into the brightly lit hallway. Heading to his door, the phone once again began to vibrate in my pocket. I chose to ignore it.

Reaching Darren's door, I reached up and grabbed the spare key he kept hidden over the door frame. Unlocking the door, I returned it to its location, making sure it couldn't be seen, before entering.

"Hey, Darren! I come bearing gifts," I proclaimed loudly as I set the bottle of overpriced amber liquid on the concrete island in his kitchen.

Seeing the impeccable state of his apartment, nothing out of place and not a single empty bottle of whiskey insight, I could conclude that he wasn't out of whiskey so much so that it had been confiscated by his housekeeping team. I couldn't blame his mother, even I could see the man had a drinking problem. 

"God, what has you all happy and shit?" He asked, grumpy as usual as he emerged from his bedroom while putting his shirt on. I could smell the hangover on him.