Chapter 6

The light clinking of china greeted my ears as my eyes blinked open. The sound was quick to be followed by the light, muffled, chattering of conversation.

My brows furrowed as I blinked up at the unfamiliar and pristine ceiling above. Mine was cracked and stained. The clean white ceiling staring back at me was a strange and unexpected sight. Until my eyes ventured to roam the bare room and reminded me of where I was.

The Null Center International logo, a circle containing a freshly sprouted seed, was laser engraved on each piece of furniture and branded each item provided in the room. The study desk that had a desktop sitting on top of it, the dresser topped with a few small bottles, and the floor-length mirror standing in the corner all held the well-known emblem.

Booming laughter had me jumping. My eyes locked onto the door sealing me off from the shared living quarters beyond. The sudden increase of noise died back down to normal. I had clenched my shirt over my pounding heart, trying to recover from the fright. Sitting up, I swung my legs over the side of the bed as my heart rate returned to normal.

I was careful to avoid the irritating creaking that accompanied any movement I made, but that was before I remembered I wasn't on my old, torn, spring mattress. I had the luxury of memory foam courtesy of the Center. Although it was far better for my back, I would rather risk a metal spring stabbing me if it meant I still had my freedom. Or what little illusion I had of it. It was more than what this tiny room filled with more luxuries than my shitty apartment provided me with. Sure I had a computer, but the internet would be closely monitored and my usage would be reported to my counsellor.

Sighing, I leaned forward and rested my elbows on my knees. Raising my hands to my temples, I massaged them firmly as the muffled sound of voices continued to make their way through my door. I could still feel hints of the headache I had gone to sleep with. So much for a comfy mattress. My mind hadn't let me enjoy it.

Rubbing a hand over my face, I cleared the remaining sleep from my eyes. Once the dried tears were wiped from the corners, I couldn't help but catch my reflection in the mirror. My eyes immediately locked onto the mark that starkly stood out against my skin.

My teeth ground together.

Sharply looking away, I pushed up off the bed and went towards the wardrobe that I knew held some clothes. I had opted to wear my worn clothes from the previous day when I had noted the Null Center logos plastered on each article yesterday, but I didn't think I could force another day of wear out of them. Not with the sent they were giving off, I thought as I looked down. The day had held more walking than I had expected. Despite only having one long class after lunch, they thought it was necessary to show and inform me what each of the other classrooms and wings of the Center was for. Well, the ones that weren't restricted.

Grabbing the white t-shirt and black joggers that I thought would make me stand out the least, I made my way to the small and cramped bathroom that was connected to my room. Removing the only personal items that I had left from my body, I discarded the worn clothes on the floor. Loading a toothbrush with paste, I started brushing my teeth as I turned on the shower.

In 10 minutes I was clean and dressed in the stiff material of never before worn synthetic clothing. A rare luxury for someone like me. Too bad they were ruined by the embroidered logos that matched the one's plaster everywhere.

You know, in case you forgot where you were.

I huffed out a frustrated breath, as I realized I had gotten ready as a force of habit since I constantly had something that needed to be done. I pushed my wet hair behind my ear as I searched the room for a source of time. Glaring red numbers from the digital clock by my bed caught my eye.