Chapter 36

"Tulong!" sigaw ng sa tantsa ko'y tatlong katao sa gate three

"Tulong!" sigaw ng sa tantsa ko'y tatlong katao sa gate three. The rest of the voices were coming from the infected chasing them.

I rolled my eyes and cocked my gun. Tony pecked my lips quickly and ran towards the open gate. I followed him, aiming my gun at the group of infected charging forward. They weren't as many as the group that attacked the camp the other day but its number was close to it. Hindi pa kasama 'yong mga infected na nakahandusay na sa sahig.

We already finalized that we wouldn't turn away any survivor unless they'd impose danger... but these three people running towards us? They were practically defenseless. A teenage girl, an old man carrying five chickens in a rattan cage, and a middle-aged woman... what could go wrong?

Tony and I calmly charged forward, Charlie and Byron covering our sides. We stopped shooting when every biter was taken down... or so we thought.

Another biter ran forward and before it could even strangle Tony, I already blocked it with my elbow. Malambot na ang katawan nito kaya nang tumama ang kanyang lalamunan sa aking siko ay bumaon ito. I grimaced at the sight. It looked like a former vendor, judging from his attire. 

Tumulo ang dugo nito mula sa leeg. Byron stabbed its head with a swiss knife while Tony pushed the body away then we retreated back to the camp.

"Yuck," Scarlet grimaced at me when we were finally back inside. The three new survivors were kneeling on the ground, being inspected. Zech held them at gunpoint.

"Where are  you guys from?" Tony gently asked, probably to make up for the other crew members that startled them. We knew what it felt like to be held at gunpoint and defenseless so I understood why Tony was trying to calm them down.

"San Bautista," the teenager said. She shoved Zech's hand away when he was about to touch her hips. "Huwag mo akong hawakan!"

Zech raised both of his hands. "Gagi, kalma... tinitingnan ko lang kung armado ka."

"Ako na," Scarlet volunteered, probably sensing that the poor girl was not comfortable with a man touching her.

"How old are you?" Scarlet queried.

"Nineteen," tipid na sagot nito. Ngumisi si Scarlet. "Clear," she said and stood up.

When the men notified that the other two were clear, they were brought to the quarters for a briefing... with the chickens. Thankfully, Yvonne was still alive after the inside attacks. I noticed that the teenage girl was glaring at Byron when Zech assisted them to Yvonne.

Lumipat ang aking tingin kay Byron. This was the first time that he didn't look smug. He looked scared.

For his dear life.

The camp's Humvee pulled over gate four. The crew opened the gates before they drove inside. Sabay-sabay kaming lumingon doon at natagpuan si Joaquin na bumaba mula doon sa sasakyan. I was surprised that George was with him.