Chapter Nine

Ospreypaw tensed as a cough threatened to trip them up. They were pacing in a sandy clearing just outside of the camp, matching Darkshadow's steps as they circled one another. Ever since Ospreypaw woke up, they struggled to stifle their sudden coughs—especially around Riverflower, Wavedance, and Beaverpatch. They were pretty sure Splashpaw noticed, but they excused themself to train with Darkshadow before their brother could point it out.

     Darkshadow had clearly noticed it as well. When they started their training, he hesitated, as if he wanted to send Ospreypaw to see Riverflower first. Neither of them had thrown a solid blow yet, either, and Darkshadow's eyes glittered with thoughtfulness. It wasn't until he halted in step that they realized he decided to mention it. Even with the visible cues, however, they couldn't prepare for his choice of words.

     "I'm proud of you, Osprey." The warrior kept his tone level as he straightened his posture momentarily. "Most of us tend to . . . worry when we can see the signs of illness creeping up on you."

     "I wish you wouldn't," Ospreypaw mumbled, relaxing their stance. "I'm not a kit anymore."

     "I know that," Darkshadow said, flicking his tail. "And you choose to endure it, rather than let them coddle you at the tiniest of hiccups."

     Ospreypaw blinked in surprise and studied him. "Thank you?"

     "You recognize that your training is most important. If we train like this more often, you'll develop the strength to fight off that pesky cough," Darkshadow said. He narrowed his eyes when Ospreypaw stifled another cough; a movement so slight that they almost missed it.

     "What makes you so sure?" Ospreypaw asked, unconvinced. The cough came back so often, it seemed like they'd get stuck in a life-long battle with it.

     "It's just a hunch." Darkshadow gave a rumbling purr and started pacing around Ospreypaw again. He flicked his tail, inviting them to join him.

     The apprentice quickly fell into step, keeping their eyes on Darkshadow's movements. When he'd throw a paw out, they'd quickly duck away from it, earning nods of approval. Every so often he would surprise them with a follow-up cuff to the ear and offer advice on how to better anticipate attacks similar to it.

     Through the sparring, Ospreypaw didn't realize their lungs were tightening. Their breathing grew more restricted; while they noticed Darkshadow's sudden hesitation, they didn't notice their own body's warning until a cough nearly choked them. Ospreypaw halted and blinked rapidly as they tried to suppress the fit before it happened.

     Darkshadow's moment of delay was swept aside as he darted forward. Ospreypaw, still struggling to restrain their coughing, reeled at the sudden flurry of attacks from their mentor. They were noticeably gentle, as though he didn't really want to overwhelm Ospreypaw, yet they were still forceful enough to prove a point.

     Ospreypaw ducked away from him swiftly and rolled away from his attacks. Their lungs finally relaxed, but it was too late, and they flopped weakly onto their side. Darkshadow leaned over them quickly with a guarded expression—if he had any leftover concern, Ospreypaw couldn't tell.

     "See," he mewed matter-of-factly, "this is why you need more strength. A warrior doesn't let a cough distract them from their battle."

     "It's not like I can control it," Ospreypaw scoffed, though they knew he was right. In a real battle, they'd be as good as dead.

     "Maybe not yet," Darkshadow rocked back as he spoke. "Like I said, I'll just have to give you extra training. I got as strong as I am thanks to diligent training—I always snuck in extra lessons."