Chapter Five

"Are you sure you're ready?" Wavedance's breath tickled the fur in Ospreykit's ear. "There's no shame in waiting another moon, you know."

     Ospreykit blinked in surprise and watched Ripplestar stand at the top of the Daystones. The whole Clan gathered at her call, and the air buzzed with their chattering. Most warriors relaxed on the lowest stones, their pelts shining in the sun, while Eveningshell stood right next to Ripplestar with her head held high.

     Only a few sunrises earlier, Poolpaw and Currentpaw earned their apprentice titles—Poolpaw was assigned to Sticklefur, and Current to Runningblaze. Now it was Ospreykit's turn along with their brothers, and they couldn't keep their pelt prickling from excitement. They scanned the crowd of warriors, wondering who their mentors would be, but nobody gave it away.

     "I want to become an apprentice with my brothers," Ospreykit mewed decidedly and stepped away from their mother. "Besides, NightClan only causes more and more trouble every day. I have to help the Clan!"

     Wavedance didn't say anything when Ospreykit trotted to sit with their brothers. The entire time, they could feel her gaze burning into her pelt. The sensation only stopped when Riverflower emerged from the medicine den and padded over to her.

     "You all know why you're gathered here today," Ripplestar announced loudly, her amber gaze drifting over Ospreykit, Splashkit, and Crabkit. "It's time for our remaining kits to receive their apprentice names and start their training. You three kits, are you prepared to start the path of the warrior?"

     Ospreykit nodded eagerly and lashed their tail. They could see Crabkit's fur bouncing in their peripheral view; he was likely nodding just as eagerly as they were. Splashkit looked much more serious, but even he gave a swift nod.

     "Good." Ripplestar paused and her expression grew warm for a few moments. Her amber eyes shone in the sun before she tilted her head downward. "Eveningshell, you've been ready for an apprentice for several moons now—you've taken everything I've taught you to heart, so you will train Splashpaw until he earns his warrior name. I trust you'll pass down your compassion in your training."

     Ripplestar paused and watched as Eveningshell slowly stepped down from the Daystones. She didn't move to greet Splashpaw as an apprentice just yet, but she stood across from him and gave him an assuring nod.

     "Daceclaw, like your sister, you've proven yourself ready for an apprentice. Sleekthistle trained you well, and you've proven yourself to be hardworking and strong. I hope you pass these traits down to Crabpaw during his moons of training."

     Once again, Ripplestar paused and waited for Daceclaw to rise and stand beside Eveningshell. His gaze swept over the whole litter, pausing on each of them before he held Crabpaw's gaze steadily. Ospreykit took the brief silence to glance at all of the remaining warriors, wondering just who their mentor would be. Surely Ripplestar wouldn't assign them to their own parents, so that left Lilypetal, Darkshadow, Webheart, Mudbreath, and Eelmask.

     Ripplestar waited a few more moments—as if she knew how anxious Ospreykit felt—before she spoke again. "Darkshadow, Webheart's training has turned you into one of our best warriors, and you're more than ready for your own apprentice. Your bravery and strength are unparalleled, and because of this I entrust you with Ospreypaw's training."

     With Ripplestar's words, Ospreypaw's heart leaped into their throat. I get to be trained by Darkshadow! Their thoughts raced as the black tabby slowly moved to stand with Daceclaw and Eveningshell. Unlike the other two, he simply met Ospreypaw's gaze with his own stony stare. Ripplestar sent the warriors a nod, and they each stepped forward to meet their new apprentices.