Chapter Three

"Why can't I play with the other kits yet?" Ospreykit whined impatiently, hating the stuffy air of the medicine den. "Splash and Crab got to leave sunrises ago. It's not fair!"

     Ever since the accident, Riverflower had only let Ospreykit leave the den under close supervision. She certainly hadn't allowed them to play with their littermates, or with the other kits, and she'd hardly let anyone come visit them.

     "You're a bit weaker than they are, Osprey," Riverflower said coolly. "Besides, I heard that little cough of yours this morning. You just need more time."

     "I told you, I inhaled a feather and it tickled my throat," Ospreykit grumbled and stifled a small cough. "I don't understand."

     "I saw that—don't hold your coughs down, otherwise it'll get worse," Riverflower mewed and padded up to Ospreykit. She flicked their ear with her tail and beckoned them forward. "You'll understand someday, I'm sure. Come on; it'll be time for my father's treatment soon. Why don't you help me carry the medicine to the clearing?"

     "How come he gets to stay outside for his treatments?" Ospreykit swished their tail angrily, though they still rose to their paws and helped Riverflower. Ever since the skirmish, Mudbreath visited the medicine den frequently. He seemed healthy enough, but Ospreykit heard that he'd had trouble getting around lately, and they couldn't help but worry about him.

     "Well, he's a grown warrior, Os." Riverflower shook her head and led them to the entrance of the den. "Warriors usually only stay in the medicine den if they're seriously injured or ill. Kits and elders are the ones we worry about most—you know which category you fall into. I'd treat Sleekthistle and Reedtuft just the same if they had an accident like that."

     Sure, but you let Crab and Splash leave before me. Ospreykit didn't respond and pushed through the woven reed entrance. Once they emerged, they dropped the bundle of herbs at their paws and looked around. Wavedance and Beaverpatch sat together outside the nursery with their tails intertwined; in front of them, the other four kits squealed and ran about. Crabkit and Splashkit played with the others as if nothing had happened to them, while Poolkit and Currentkit were as lively as ever.

     "Riverflower, can I please go play with the other kits?" Ospreykit begged again, glancing up at the molly. Riverflower turned and held Osprey's pleading gaze for a few moments.

     "I just got done saying you need more rest," she sighed and shook her head. "I was going to ask you to watch me check on Mudbreath; it'd be a good lesson of patience for a pushy kit. But if you really want to go over there, you can go sit with your parents—but no fooling around with your denmates yet, understand?"

     Ospreykit rolled their eyes but nodded as Mudbreath approached the medicine den. They heard him greeting Riverflower with a few short breaths, but didn't want to linger in case Riverflower asked for help again.

     "Mom!" Ospreykit called and ran up to their parents. "Dad! Riverflower told me I can come over here for a while."

     "If she said that's okay, then . . . well, alright. It's good to see you getting around so well," Wavedance said and leaned forward to touch her nose to Ospreykit's forehead. Beside her, Beaverpatch let out a loud purr and reached out with a paw, pulling Ospreykit into an embrace.

     "Come here, you!" he growled playfully, tussling their fur. Ospreykit couldn't resist the urge to giggle and struggle in his grip, flailing their paws at him.

     "Bea, quit it," Wavedance murmured quickly, though her voice was warm with fondness. "Riverflower will have our hides if we get them wound up. I'm sure Os still needs to take it easy for now, and River is the last cat I want to upset."