Chapter One: The Queen Mary

Don't forget to vote and comment please - those really help out my story :))

Enjoy!!

There is a feeling that George can't quite describe whenever he looks at The Queen Mary. He used to drive by it often when he was actually working in an office, instead of the corner of his bedroom. Back then it was almost akin to dread, knowing he had nearly arrived at his personal hell. It's been several months since he's worked there, and he hasn't needed to drive this street since then.

Now he's here for a completely different reason, something he would have never thought would drag him here. For some godforsaken reason, George has decided to try and talk to the dead. There is obviously more to it than just a random spark of curiosity; at least that is what he is telling himself.

One late night– practically early morning– he was talking to his friend, neither of them was sober at the time and they somehow got onto the subject of George being able to see apparitions– which up until that point he wasn't even aware that's what he had been seeing. He had always assumed that was his eyes playing tricks on him, or the lighting in a certain room wasn't quite right; a faulty lightbulb or something. Or for whatever reason, it was affiliated with his colorblindness. Not George being a medium of all things.

Undoubtedly, this threw him through one hell of a loop, and as much as he wouldn't like to admit it, he spent a little more than a day researching all things paranormal. He had discovered that his abilities were not shared by everyone, even as weak as they were. There are some mediums that have the ability to see spirits as if they were another person in the room, and can hear them just the same. George cannot do that. If he is lucky, he may see an outline of a figure move out of the corner of his eye, or hear the faintest whisper.

Despite this, he still decided the next day that he wanted to go someplace haunted to try and experience something himself. He even went and bought genuine ghost hunting equipment, at least that's what the website said they were.

In reality, it wasn't nearly as much as he could've bought, he only bought what he believed to be the essentials; a REM Pod, an EMF reader, and a spirit box. See? He could've blown through his entire monthly budget, but he didn't, because he is a responsible adult that definitely should be spending his time doing this, instead of the three coding projects he needs to do by the end of the month.

So that's how he ended up here, standing at the front desk of a haunted ship hotel, waiting for them to give him his room key. George didn't end up getting the famous room, B340, that would've been pushing his budget. Still, he figured that any room should have some sort of activity, especially if there are supposedly several different spirits residing in various parts of the ship.

The front desk lady hands him his room key and points in the general direction of his room, his gaze follows her hand for a moment before turning back.

"Oh– uh, before I go, I've heard... that– that this place is haunted. I-is that true at all?" He asks without a single ounce of confidence in his voice. For all he knows, it could be just another internet rumor that took off without anyone even looking back to see if it was actually true. God, he hopes that isn't the case.

Despite his insecurities, The front desk lady's demeanor changes completely without him even being finished with his sentence. A smile grows exponentially quick across her face. Her eyes light up as if George has just told her he was giving her half a million dollars.

She lets her crossed arms rest on the counter as she leans closer to him. "In my opinion, yes this place is a hundred percent haunted. I actually have had my own experience not too long ago. There is a little girl named Jackie that haunts the pool room, which is– in fact where she died. Poor thing was only six," she says.