Protection (2018!Michael Myers x Reader)

A/N: This takes place during the scene in Halloween Kills where Michael goes up against the mob of people. So, kinda spoilers for Kills. Although, I do try to keep a specific death ambiguous to avoid a major spoiler.
Do I know that Michael kinda deserved to have his ass kicked? Yes. But did I still feel awful and almost cry in the theater watching it? Also yes. I had to write this to help me cope with those feelings lol. I love old man Mikey so much.
Reader is a pacifist with too much empathy for their own good and it hurts seeing these people hurt Michael. So what does Reader do? Probably a stupid decision, but ya know. It's kinda cute.
Could be read as romantic, friendship, or whatever tbh.

*******************************

    This felt wrong. You watched as the mob full of angry Haddonfield residents landed hit after hit on this small town's own Boogeyman. You knew that he probably deserved it. After all, he's hurt many people and haunted this town for years. You'd heard all of the stories. Who hasn't? But even so, watching all of these people beat him as he laid face down on the cold, hard ground felt so horribly wrong.
    You had come with the group, not because you were out for Michael's blood, but rather because your friends were. You just so happened to be in the bar that night with them. You had seen the look on Tommy Doyle's face. The man had riled a good amount of people in the town up, including your friends. You wanted no part in the violence. Not because you were afraid (well, maybe you were), but because you never liked the idea of solving violence with more violence; an eye for an eye. But your friends had ended up dragging you along into this madness. You hadn't even wanted to leave your house tonight, but your friends had harassed you about joining them at the bar.
    You reluctantly went with them to the showdown, but announced that you would not be leaving the vehicle. This earned you a few scoffs and eyerolls, but they didn't bother you too much about it in the end. They were too set on letting their anger out on the silent killer.
    You now sat in the shotgun seat of one of the trucks whose headlights were illuminating the area. Your hands gripped tightly at the seat, a horrified look on your face, breath audibly shaking, and tears threatening to spill over. You knew the tears were most likely not deserved. The Shape of Haddonfield never showed mercy, so why should all of these people? Regardless, it tore at your heart more than it should have to see him being kicked and beaten while seemingly laying there defenseless. With every swing, you winced and your breath would hitch. After several minutes of this, you no longer could stand seeing it.
    You thought that it would be best to run away, far away from this street. You didn't want to see nor hear any of it anymore. You opened the car door as quietly as possible, ready to take off in any direction that was anywhere but here.
    You glanced over at the man once again. He was bleeding heavily from being shot and beaten. And now looking closer you could see he was missing some fingers too. Although, it seemed like those were lost earlier in the night judging by the bandages wrapped around the hand. Your legs suddenly began to move on their own. But not in the opposite direction like you had wanted. No, instead you were running right into the center of this chaos, pushing people out of your way in the process.
    Putting yourself in between Michael and some of the crowd, you stared straight into the eyes of one of your friends. 'Shit...' you thought, 'what am I doing?' You knew at that moment that the entire town of Haddonfield was going to hate you. You would be shunned and driven out of the city, hell maybe even out of the state of Illinois.
    The entire crowd fell dead silent as they just stared at your shaking form, standing in between them and their prey. You were terrified. Trying to find your voice, you began to speak. "Isn't that enough?" You said, your voice trembling. "He's already down. Haven't you hurt him enough?"
    You began to hear whispers all around you and people sharing looks. They looked shocked. Angry. Disgusted. Closing your eyes for a moment, you gulped. "Violence doesn't get anyone anywhere."
    Glancing up at one of your friends, he looked appalled. Gripping at his weapon tighter, he spat out, "How can you say that!? You know what this man has done to us, to all of us!" You gave a small nod. "I know..."
    Your other friend spoke up. "So how the fuck can you defend a monster like that!?" Her voice was dripping with venom and you winced slightly at the word 'monster.'
    "I'm just saying that this is enough. You've gotten your anger out. Let the police take care of-" you were promptly cut off by someone unseen shoving you to the ground. Letting out a whimper after your body collided with the ground, you sat up and looked at the jerk who shoved you. The man, who you didn't know, peered down his nose at you. "Crazy bitch..."
    Your lower lip quivered as you looked at the people all around you staring down at you and Michael. You knew that you had gotten yourself into this mess, but you've already come this far. You slowly peeked down at the man you were just mere inches away from now. The murderer you just threw your entire reputation down the drain for. Your heart ached all over again seeing him in the state that he was in.
    Your eyes adjusted more to the harsh light cutting through the darkness. You could just barely see into the eye holes of the mask. Your blood ran cold as you realized that Michael was awake. And he was staring straight at you. The air left your lungs and wouldn't return as you realized just how close you were to a serial killer. He could end you within seconds right now if he wanted to. And still, you felt pity.
   Time seemed to stand still as you both looked at one another cautiously. Until his eyes suddenly snapped up above you. Before you had time to even react, let alone turn around, you felt a sharp pain in your back. Letting out a yelp of pain, you looked back to see just as you were getting kicked again. It was your now ex-friend. It was obvious everyone hated you at that moment.
    You raised your hands in defense as hot tears spilled down your cheeks. 'How ironic,' you thought, 'my sad attempt to stop this mob's rage just made it worse.' You felt another pain, this time in your shoulder, from somebody's 2x4 piece of wood. "Traitor!" They shouted, striking you again.
    The anger once again became contagious as one after the other, the crowd starting attacking both you and the man you were trying to protect. Being knocked down so that you were practically face to face with him, you could see that his eyes were now shut. Feeling that pang of sadness again, you got up on all fours and crawled to him. You should be terrified of him and wanting to get as far away as possible. Instead, you pulled yourself on top of the larger man. Wrapping yourself especially around his head, shielding him from the blows.
    Whether he deserved it or not didn't matter to you anymore. You couldn't let this man die. This only seemed to piss everyone off more. You squeezed your eyes shut and choked back sobs as you felt yourself acquiring more and more wounds. All around you, you could hear shouts of you being a traitor, you deserving all that's coming to you, you being insane. You found yourself thinking that maybe they were right.
    You felt someone grab at the back of your shirt and yank you backwards. Instinctively, you reached your hands back to grab their arm. "Let me go!" you shouted. When your cry fell on deaf ears, you slammed your elbow as hard as you could into the person's shin, causing them to drop you. 'So much for no violence.' You thought, before quickly dismissing it as self defense.
    You crawled back as quickly as you could over to Michael. Every muscle and bone in your body hurt. But you were already in this, and you weren't going to stop now until these people settled down. Sitting on your knees in front of the man laying behind you, you glanced up at the crowd in front of you. "Fuck this!" Shouted one man as he came forward and raised his aluminum baseball bat over his head. You squeezed your eyes shut and braced yourself for the impact. You heard the unmistakable sound of the bat colliding with something near your head, but yet you didn't feel any pain. You slowly opened one eye to see the bat inches from your face being held in place by a bloody and damaged hand. Glancing in the direction of the hand, you see an arm coming over your shoulder.
    You gasped as you realized it was Michael. He had propped himself up, although still laying on his stomach. He stopped the bat mid-air. Did he think that they were aiming for him? No, it was obvious they were aiming for you. Did he just save you? You weren't sure you could believe that.
    He gave a tug, pulling the bat from the man's hands before more people on the other side had started hitting him again. One particularly hard whack knocked him back down and caused him to release the bat and you watched as it rolled away. "Dammit..." you mumbled. You weren't entirely sure who or what you were saying that to. The mob, yourself, Michael, the situation. Probably all of the above.
    You leaned down and hesitantly placed a hand on his masked cheek and tried to look at his eyes. He was alive, although it seemed barely conscious judging by his half-lidded stare. Feeling yourself being pulled backwards yet again, you grunted in frustration and pain. The person dragged you several feet away before releasing you with a thud.
    Looking over again, you see Michael weakly reaching for his knife that laid just inches away from his grasp. You didn't know how to feel at this moment. You still felt that same pity from seeing him so hurt. But you also knew what would happen if he got ahold of that blade again. And that scared you.
    Before Michael could reach his weapon, Karen Nelson stepped over to him. You knew her but not enough to call her a friend. You did know that she also had a tendency to want peace and had a kinder heart. You wondered what she was even doing here. You knew her mom was one of Michael Myers' few survivors. You're sure that made her hate him. But her pacifist nature would typically keep her far away from things like this.
   But in that moment, the woman's eyes were filled with seething rage and hatred for the murderer that laid just a few feet away from her. You watched as she slowly bent down and picked up the knife and gripped onto it tightly. What was she doing? There was no way she was about to kill this man. The crowd remained silent as they watched her every move. She turned to face him and stared down at him.
   "Karen!" You hadn't even realized you had shouted her name until you saw many pairs of eyes staring your way. You shakingly stood to your feet despite your body's protests not to. "Karen..." you repeated before taking a couple of small steps towards her, placing your hands up in front of you as if to tell her to stop and think about what she was doing. She stared at you wordlessly as you stumbled another step towards her. "What are you doing?" You asked softly. Before she could answer, you continued. "You don't want to do this, Karen. Think about your daughter..."
   Her iron grip on the blade seemed to loosen for a moment before tightening once more and turning back to Michael. You saw the rage in her eyes as she began to lift her arm up. With the last bit of your strength, you bolted at her, half tackling her and grabbing her arm that was weilding the knife. You looked in her eyes and pleaded, "Please stop! No more blood needs to be shed tonight!" Tears welled up in her eyes as she continued looking not at you, but at the man laying behind you. She choked out a sob and mumbled something that you couldn't quite hear. You were sure you heard her say "Ray" though. Wasn't that her husband's name? In your confusion, she pushed past you and drove the knife down into Michael's back. His body jolted before going limp and you let out a scream and covered your mouth with both of your hands.
    Your legs finally gave out and you fell to your knees, staring helplessly at the sight in front of you. Karen turned almost robotically with tears running down her face and walked off in the direction of some nearby houses. Everything had become too silent besides your ragged breathing. The mob began to lower their weapons and relax. Some even turning to leave, ready to go sleep soundly knowing that the Boogeyman was finally dead.
    You desperately wanted to look away from the gruesome sight before you. But you just couldn't. You should be worrying about your own injuries and your now destroyed reputation and friendships. You should feel relief that this 40 year nightmare was now over. Instead, your heart broke into pieces. You tried so hard to protect him but couldn't in the end. You thought back to the hand grabbing the bat that nearly put a dent in your head. It seemed clear that he had tried to protect you as well. Although, that thought seemed irrational. He was a merciless killer who seemed void of emotion.
   You closed your eyes for a moment as you felt yourself get dizzy from the adrenaline wearing off. Time seemed to slow down and your ears began to ring as more of your pain began to catch up to you. Trying desperately to cling to consciousness, you still collided with the ground.
    That's when you heard a scream. Followed by more screams. Opening your eyes, your vision blurry, you could see a lot of movement again. Confused, you tried to get your eyes to focus. And then you saw it. Michael Myers was up on his feet slashing his knife in all directions as more and more bodies fell to the ground. Upon realizing what was happening, your body was hit with another dose of adrenaline.
    Propping yourself up on your elbows and then to your hands and knees, you watched in horror at what was happening before you. You forced yourself to your feet, every instinct in your body telling you to run and to hide. But instead you froze. Eyes locked on the older man who was taking the lives of everyone around him. His body moving as if he didn't just sustain countless injuries. You began to wonder if he was even human.
    You watched as the last person drops after being knifed in the chest. A quiet shriek escaping your lips once you realized who it was. His bat taken from him and swung down, his life ended with his own weapon. Everything went quiet once again after the clank of the bat falling to the ground. You and Michael were the only ones left standing.
    To your horror, the man turned to face you. You wanted to scream; to run. Something. Anything! But instead you froze like a rabbit being stared down by a predator. You may have protected the man, but you were still completely and utterly terrified of him. 'I'm gonna die...' was the only thing you could think.
    Michael started walking towards you and you began to back up in fear. He got closer and your legs gave out on you again, finally at their limit. You fell backwards and all you could do was look up at the man. He stopped and tilted his head at you slightly. You open your mouth to speak but instead everything begins to spin again and you start to black out.
    After a moment, you feel yourself being lifted from the cold and sharpness of the gravel. Feeling like you were moving, you tried to open your eyes wondering if you were actually moving or if it was just the dizziness. Your eyelids fought you.
    You felt yourself being sat upright and finally managed to open your eyes only slightly. Michael stood beside you and you realized you were sitting in the same truck you started out in. Had he carried you here? Your eyes flick up to meet his blue ones. You tried to move and felt a large hand on your shoulder, stilling you. It was as if he was silently telling you not to move and hurt yourself more than you already were. Once he felt that you had stopped moving, you felt that same hand move to your head. Your eyes closed again as you felt him rub your head slightly before pulling away. You wanted to chuckle thinking that this had to be a dream. But chuckling would of taken energy that you no longer had. You barely pulled your eyes open one last time to see him reaching into his pocket before everything went completely dark and silent.
****************************
    Your eyes slowly opened and you tried to move your head before being hit with a wave of pain. "Fuck..." you hissed. It was still dark out and you were in your friend's truck. You tried to remember what exactly happened before it hit you all at once. Your eyes snapped over to your right to where Michael had stood before. No one was there and the door was shut. Had you dreamt or hallucinated it? You had to of managed to get yourself to vehicle or something.
    You went to move your hands up to your temples in an attempt to calm your throbbing headache. It was then you realized something was in your hand. Confused, you flipped your hand over and opened your palm to see a small piece of Halloween candy. You blinked in confusion before remembering that the last thing you saw before passing out was Michael reaching into his pocket. A tiny grin appeared on your face as you realized it was his way of saying thank you.
    Huh... who knew the Boogeyman had a sweet tooth.