Standing Up (OG!Michael Myers x Reader)

A/N: Here's another one-shot! I got this idea when I was thinking about how horribly the mental health system failed Michael. Much like with the last one-shot, it made me sad. I have a lot of feelings about Michael oof. Anyway, I like Loomis, I really do, but he really failed Michael.
So this story is about Reader being in Smith's Grove at the same time as Michael. They get sick and tired of Loomis and the staff demonizing Michael every five seconds instead of giving him the help and care he needs. Maybe Michael just needed someone on his side. Someone to stand up for him. This takes place shortly before he breaks out in 1978. As usual, Reader is gender neutral and an adult. No specific age though. Cute fluff at the end. This one can be seen as more romantic in nature than my last one.
Warning for a lot of cursing, mainly in the middle part of the story because Reader is really angry.

***********************************

    The time was a few minutes past one in the afternoon. It was lunch time for everyone here at Smith's Grove. I wasn't hungry today so I was pushing my food around the tray with my fork, my chin resting in my hand. The food here was always bland. It's not surprising, honestly. They're not going to spend the extra money to get decent food here. But I wish they would at least give us some salt and pepper.
    It was fairly quiet in the cafeteria. There was a little bit of chatter around, but mostly I could just hear the clock on the wall ticking obnoxiously loudly. I sat alone at a table near the wall, same as usual. I don't really like being around people too much. I liked to mostly keep to myself, at least while I ate. Glancing around, I can see everyone wearing the same plain white hospital gown. Some people sat in groups, others sat alone. Some of the people who sat in groups would eat in silence, just enjoying the company wordlessly.
    I sigh and glance down at my food, which was only a step above cardboard, and forced myself to take a small bite. I needed at least a couple bites, gross as it was. I'd only been here for a couple of months now. Unfortunately, I still wasn't used to the food. Glancing up again and looking at a table several away from your own. A man sat there alone. He poked around at his food most days as well. His hair brown and slightly curly, his face was always covered by a paper-mache mask. He never spoke to anyone and I didn't blame him. I know his name is Michael and he's been here most of his life now. That thought made me sad. This place was pretty miserable.
    There's been a couple times now where I've considered sitting with him. I never planned on talking to him, just sitting with company since we both seemed to be similar in nature. I have also seen how he's treated by his doctor and the nurses here. I've heard them talk about him to his face and behind his back. It pissed me off. He always wore masks that he made so it was difficult to tell if the comments bothered him at all.
    I never could end up working up the courage to go sit with him. I wasn't scared of him, despite knowing he murdered his sister when he was a kid. I just didn't want to bother him. Taking a sip of my drink, I glanced up at the loud clock. Lunch was almost over. I suppose I should try to take at least another bite or two before time was up.

**********************

    It was our daily time outside now and thankfully it was sunny out. It wasn't too hot or cold. I sat on the ground with my back against the wall of the building. Much like at lunch, I didn't participate much in any outdoor activities. I typically kept to myself outside and would either sit while thinking and watching the clouds or read a book from the library. Occasionally, I would get up at walk laps around the courtyard.
    Today I just wanted to stare up at the fluffy, white clouds. It always helped to relax me. Today had been uneventful so far, but it wasn't bad. The warm sun felt nice on my face and people weren't being too loud today. There were several tables outdoors but I never minded sitting on the ground. Some people read, some socialized, and others would exercise in some way.
    I closed my eyes and enjoyed the fresh air for a few minutes before hearing a certain loud voice. I groaned when I saw it was that annoying doctor, Loomis. He wasn't my doctor, although I had seen him a couple times after I'd first arrived. I never liked him. He always talked about and seemed weirdly obsessed with treating that guy, Michael like he was a monster rather than a human being.
    I pinched the bridge of my nose before glaring up at him and the guard he was talking to. "Make sure you watch him closely. You never know when that devil might snap." Here we go again. "I know, Sam. You tell me everyday and it's my job. I can handle it." Said the guard. "Yes well, you can't let its silentness fool you. Behind those masks it wears are the eyes of pure evil." The doctor stated.
    I pinched at my nose tighter in irritation. 'How is this asshole allowed to get away with calling Michael an "it?" You're his doctor for fuck's sake. Shouldn't you at least pretend to care about him?' I wondered where Michael even was, anyway. Opening my eyes to look around, I saw he was sitting nearby me. He was on the ground too but he was far enough away that we weren't in each other's space. 'When did he even get there? Dang, he's quiet when he moves around...' I thought to myself.
    "All he's doing is sitting there. I have this under control." I could hear the guard speaking again. Loomis just shook his head. "Well, that's precisely what it wants you to think." the doctor said in return. I wondered if Michael could hear any of this. He was sitting farther away from them than I was. I'm sure he's sadly used to hearing this crap all the time, but I still was silently hoping that maybe he wasn't hearing the mean comments this time. I shot him a glance. He was gripping at his clothing hard enough that his knuckles were white. Yeah, he was hearing it.
    Sighing and looking ahead of me, I found myself getting worked up as well. I know what he did, but dammit, he was a kid then. I'm not excusing it but he still was a human who deserved help and to be cared about. One more nasty remark rolled out of the doctor's mouth before I'd finally had enough.
    I stood up and brushed the dirt off my backside real fast before marching over to where the two were. They both stopped speaking and looked over at me. "Would you shut the fuck up?" I said bluntly right at Loomis. "Excuse me!?" he blinked in surprise, thinking he had to have misheard me.
    "You heard me." I spat. Clenching my hands into fists by my side, I kept staring straight into his eyes. "I'm getting really sick and fucking tired of you always demonizing your own patient." Loomis blinked in complete shock. "Are you really defending that monster? Since when are you friends with him? He doesn't have any friends!"
Rolling my eyes and letting out an irritated chuckle, I say "Maybe he doesn't really want friends because he has trust issues. Because of people like you who are supposed to care but instead demonize him like he's not human."
    "You must know he's a murd-" I cut him off by saying "Yes, I know. He's not the only one here who's hurt people. So why do you insist on treating him like he doesn't deserve help or love? I'm sick of that damn mouth you have on you. This place clearly needs better doctors."
    The guard finally snaps out of his stunned state. "(L/N), knock it off. Sit your ass back down before I file a report on you." I scoffed and turned around to walk back to where I was sitting before, mumbling "Whatever..."
I make it about halfway there and notice that Michael is looking up at me. His grip on his clothes loosened. I glance down at the ground and almost make it to the wall. And then I hear that asshole doctor mutter "I guess freaks attract freaks..."
    I start seeing red as I stop dead in my tracks. I'm not looking at Michael, but I hear him shift in his spot. I smile and let out a chuckle and run my fingers through my hair. Spinning on my heel, I march right back to where the doctor is now turned to prepare to leave and the guard with his focus on Loomis.
    Grabbing a fistful of that tan trenchcoat and flipping around to face me, I then punched him in the face as hard as I possibly could. I immediately felt a jolt of electricity through my body as the guard tazed me and I fell to the ground. The guard yanks handcuffs off of his belt and starts putting them around my wrists. He then roughly pulls me to my feet. Knowing I wouldn't be able to stand easily after that, another guard runs out and grabs my other arm to drag me inside the building.
    I glanced up at Loomis to see him holding his bleeding nose. I smirked at him. No one can say he didn't deserve that one. As I was dragged through the doors, my eyes fixed out past the doc. Michael was now up on his feet and staring my way. What I didn't know was the rare shocked expression he wore under that mask of his.

**************************

    I had spent some time in solitary confinement for my violent outburst. Honestly, I really didn't care that much. Sure, it had started wearing on me a bit near the end though.
    I sat down on my bed in my real room and yawned. It was almost bedtime in the building now and I was exhausted. After performing my nightly routines, I curled up under my blanket and closed my eyes.
    I start drifting off to sleep quickly before I hear a loud click. My head shot up and looked to see my door now wide open. Thoroughly confused, I threw my covers back and tiptoed my way over to the open door. I peeked my head out and looked left and right.
    Slowly, I see some other patients wander our of their rooms. 'My door isn't the only one that opened?' I thought to myself, confused. I glanced to my left again, not sure what to do.
All of the sudden, I felt a large hand wrap around my wrist. Whipping my head around, I come face to face with a familiar masked man. "Whoa..." I said quietly. Looking at him this closely, I could see now that his eyes were blue. "Michael, hi... What's going on?"
    Without saying a word, he tugs at my wrist. "You want me to follow you?" I guessed. He blinks at me and then does a quick nod. Still confused, I nod back before I start walking with him. His grip on my wrist loosened slightly, but he never let go. I felt my face heat up at this and looked away. 'Where in the world is he taking me?' I wonder.
    After several turns and going through a few hallway doors, we both finally reach the door that leads to the outside. I still had no idea what was happening, but I felt like I could trust Michael with whatever he was doing. He looked behind the both of us before pushing open the door and pulling us both through to the stormy outside.
    His hand moved down from my wrist to my hand before pulling me over to a nearby bush. I wanted to ask him what we were doing sitting back there, but realizing he hadn't let go of my hand, I felt my face go completely red again. I sure am glad it's dark out right now...
    After a few minutes, a car pulls up to the gate. Out jumps a frantic Loomis who runs over to the phone to contact guards. That's when I notice that a lot of the patients have gotten outside.
    Michael gives me a tug while keeping low and positions me beside the passenger door. Before I could even whisper to him about what we were doing, he leaps up onto the top of the car. 'What the hell...?' I think and watched as he reaches in and grabs the nurse in the driver's seat.
    It takes less than a minute before she flees the vehicle in a panic. Michael uses that opportunity to jump into the car before reaching over and opening the passenger door from the inside. I look up at him and he motions for me to get in the car. I hear that annoying doctor yelling and the sound of gravel beneath his feet as he runs toward us.
    With no more hesitations, I jump up into the car and slam the car shut after me. Michael stomps on the gas and we are out of there in a flash. The realization settles in that I just busted out of the sanitarium with Michael Myers. I let out a small laugh, which draws his attention. I then bust out laughing and look over at him.
    "Michael, what is even going on? Why did we just bust out of there? I mean, I'm glad to be out of there though. That place is awful..." I trail off before continuing again. "Why did you bring me with you? I'm sure it would of been a lot easier and faster if I wasn't with you." I say and look at him. For a minute, there's no response or reaction from him and I think that I might not get an answer.
    Then I feel a hesitant hand on top of my own hand. I look over at him again. He briefly removes his hand and points at his nose and then points behind us in the direction of Smith's Grove before placing his hand back on mine. It takes a second for me to understand before a large smile spreads across my face. "Yeah, I messed up his nose pretty badly, didn't I?" In response, I feel a squeeze from his hand to mine. "You're welcome..." I whispered softly. "I'm so sorry you had to deal with all of that everyday. It wasn't right. No one deserves to have those things said about them." I finish. Feeling his thumb lightly stroke my skin, I finally moved my hand to interlace my fingers with his. The entire drive to Haddonfield was mostly silent, but I sure couldn't wipe the stupid smile off of my face.