{It doesn't have to be this way}

With probably all the elegance I could ever muster, I walked into the room. After all when meeting a friend that breathed elegance, I had to put up a bit of a fight. Though defeat was evident.
"How have you been?" he asked me with a slight smile.
"Great! What about you? Oh wait, still friend-zoned."
"Shut up!" He growled, taking a sip out of his liquor.
My excellent friend was generously blessed with almost everything a man could desire. Brains, brawns, money and looks. He had it all.
It's just to prevent injustice towards us average men, God probably decided to lower his IQ and EQ whenever the matters of love were brought about.
"How much longer do you think you can pull this off?"
"No matter how long I can pull it off, it won't be much longer than your virginity."
"Hey!"
"Take a sip. There is wine, whiskey, beer.......anything you want."
"Wow, so generous. If only if you could be generous towards yourself when it concerned the matters of the heart."
"I am being generous enough. I don't want my love to hurt her or myself. She probably hates me anyway."
"Does it look like she hates you?"
"She just doesn't know it's me!"
"If she was hurt enough to hate you for so long. There is absolutely no way she didn't recognise you.
He scoffed and stared into his glass as he twirled it. "She hates me. She must have forgotten how I looked, considering nobody would want to remember the face of the person they hate and that hurt them."
"What makes you so sure she hates you." I was irked by this man, I boast as a friend.
"I found her crying while holding the bracelet I gifted her. She miserably cried while repeating the words 'I hate you' and 'I never want to see you ever again'."
Wait a minute!
Doesn't that mean totally the opposite though? Doesn't she just miss him way too much? HATE HIM. The girl is pathetically in love with him! Did he lose a few braincells while watching the girl he loves cry?
"Well, why don't you find out?"
"Find out what?"
"Find out if she recognizes you. Why don't you directly hear it from her?. If she hates you or not."
"Stop feeding me with baseless hope. I don't deserve her."
"Come on.....Try it! You've got nothing to lose."
"No it will just make it harder to hold on."
"It doesn't have to be this way!"
"Nothing will change. It will always be this way"
"Even if she finds another man to love?" I inquired, not understanding what was holding him back.
"I will support her and protect from the sidelines. But if he dared hurt her. I would make sure he would rather die than live with the endless pain."
My foolish friend. You too are just like her.
Pathetically in love.
I hope you pair of pathetic lovers are able to face your feelings better.
After all...... It doesn't have to be this way.