The New Soil

(Writers note: There are going to be 2 different Karl pov's throughout the rest of the story. But I will make sure that I will make it clear wich Karl pov it is. One is going to be the current Karl that we discovered in chapter 1, and the other Karl is the one that we discovered at the end of chapter 2. At the end of chapter 2 the portal Karl hopped in is not the same portal he met Sapnap. We haven't gotten there yet. But as I mentioned 2 different story lines are going to be happening at once. I hope this makes sense. Also the second Karl pov is loosely based off the dream smp, some of the topics may or may not have actually happened in the dsmp lore. Enjoy reading. :])

————————————————————————

Karl pov (1726)

————————————————————————

The portal closed behind me. I looked ahead of me. Green grass covered every inch of ground as far as my eyes could see. Trees spread out in every direction I looked. Where am I?
I was stranded in a strange place. I reached my hand in my pocket, and pulled out my phone. The time read the same as to before I jumped into the portal. Something like this has never happened before. But- to my surprise I had no Wi-Fi. At all-
I was stranded. Totally stranded. What if I wasn't in the time I thought I was? Maybe im not in current time. What if my phone is totally useless in this time? What if im in the past?
     Maybe I'm not even in the same world at all. I glance up at the sun, only for a second. It seemed a littler farther away than usual.
     Though the view was nice and calming, I had to find people somewhere. So I started my journey. Walked along the soft, long, green grass. So bright and natural. The smell of the earth, every breath felt so.... full. This air seemed so untouched by pollution. Which is odd.
     I continued walking for what I would assume to be 4 hours. But my phone told a different story, I had actually been walking for 5. The sun was starting to set, golden hour had just hit. The orange tint hit my face. But my stomach felt empty. The last time I ate was yesterday. I walked around some more to find anything I could eat, and the glimpse of bright red goodness filled my eyes. Berries.
     I walked eagerly towards them, getting on my knees, and began picking them off. In the moment I wasn't worried if they were safe to eat or not, I was hungry.
     The bush held more than a few handfuls, after I picked each one I ate it immediately. And surprisingly it filled me. I took the rest of the berries and stuffed them in my pocket. I had no idea how much longer in my journey I would go till I found food again. I had to take extra precautions.
     I stood up straight and continued walking. I planned on walking until I feel asleep, was in too much pain, or found civilization. Which ever one came first.
     Sooner than I thought, golden hour had passed. A dark blue tint had soon showered my face instead.
     The night sky held thousands of bright stars, something so beautiful. I had never seen so many stars at once.
     A breeze blew past me. It was light and soft. Left a slight chill.
     I look into the distance. Everything was hard to see since the only source of light was emitted from the full moon. It looked like a person. A thin, yet tall one at that. Very hard to tell. I squinted my eyes as an attempt to see clearly. I also wanted to keep my distance, which was only a few meters.
     They seemed to be digging, in the- dirt? They were out of breath. How long have they been digging? What are they looking for?
     In a flash, a torch was lit. The light revealed who the person was, yet I remained in the dark. Thankfully this torch did not reveal my position. But it did reveal that there was also a second person. Talking to the boy that was digging. The boy digging had bright, yellow, blond hair. His hair was short, yet long enough to hold curls. He had light skin, a white and red shirt. Brown cargo pants that covered all the way down his legs, and black boots that covers his feet. He had bright, crystal, blue eyes.
     The other boy had brown hair, a bit longer than the others. His eyes were also blue. He had a long, mid sleeve, green shirt. It was a button up. His pants were dark blue, and he had similar black boots.
     The brown-haired boy sat down in the grass, looking up at the other one.
     The blond-haired boy continued shoveling. I could faintly here them talking, but thankfully they could speak english. "Are you sure this is where Dream's secret base is?" He sounded slightly annoyed. But he also sounded young, like a teenager. I would guess he was 17. He paused for a moment, resting one hand at the tip of the shovel, and wiped the sweat off of his forehead with the other. He then began shoveling again.
      "Yes, I saw him go in there myself. It should be around y 28. Or something. Just keep digging you'll find it." Now that I thought about it they both had a British accent. And who is this 'Dream' guy?
     "Tommy, are you sure you want to get these discs? Do you have any idea what Dream is going to do once he finds out about this?" The true worry in his voice was chilling. I was witnessing something they shouldn't be doing. But now I know one of their names; Tommy.
     The blond-haired blue eyes boys name was Tommy. What is Tommy up too?
     Tommy rolled his eyes. "He can't do much."
"Are you sure about that?"
     "The discs are all I have. What else can he take away from me?"
     "A lot, actually." The brown-haired boy stood up.
     Tommy eyed him. "Like what?" He scoffed. There was something about the boys comment he found funny.
     "Me"
"Tubbo, He can't take you away from me." That's the other boys name; Tubbo.
     "Yes he can. He's in control of everything, he can do whatever he wants."
     Tommy stood silent for a moment. Avoiding eye contact with the other. "Would you mind helping me, mate?"
     Tubbo sighed as he grabbed a shovel. They both began digging.
     I watched them dig for a moment. Hard at work. Digging for Dreams secret base, whoever that was. He seems like a controlling dick. Also who's name is Dream? It's such an odd name. To name yourself after the thing you would experience when you sleep. Weird.
     I let my mind trail off, until a sudden groan snapped me out of my thoughts. I whipped my head around, the shock gave my body goosebumps and nearly froze me in fear. It was- A ZOMBIE...?!?
     Without thinking my body preformed it's first instinct. Since I had nothing to defend myself, I ran to the people that did; Tommy and Tubbo.
     They both screamed, dropping their shovels. But their focus quickly shifted from me, then to the main threat.
     The zombie slowly walked towards them, i shielded my eyes and looked away. I heard noises I wish I didn't, and when I looked back the zombie was dead. Tommy held a bloody sword in his hand, and piles of rotten flesh lay on the ground. Their focus shifted back to me.
     They seemed oddly unfazed by this zombie. This definitely is something they have encountered before.
     Tommy looked at me angrily. "And just who the hell are you?!" I glance at Tubbo, he looked just as scared as I was.
     Tommy walked up to me, holding his dull iron sword underneath my chin, forcing me to look up at him. "What is your name?"
     I swallowed the mass amount of spit that has gathered in my mouth. "M-my name is Karl Jacobs."
     "Where have you come from?" Tommy said through gritted teeth.
     "North Carolina from the United States of America."
     Tommy looked back at Tubbo with a puzzled face. "United States of America? I've never heard of anything like that."
     Tubbo shrugged. "Neither have I."
Tommy looked back at me. "Are you shitting with me right now?"
     "N-no."
"Welp." Tommy took his sword away from my chin and gave it to Tubbo. Tubbo then walked over and slipped it into a back pack that had been laying up against a tree. "Karl," Tommy said in a mocking tone, "This isn't America. This is the Dream smp. I like to call it hell. It fits better to the environment." Tommy stopped for a moment. "Hmm. I'll make a deal with you. I'll promise to help you with anything you need if you just help me with one thing."
     "And what is that?"
"If you help me dig this hole some ways down. What do you say, Karl?" Tommy held out his hand, inviting me to shake it.
     My hand reluctantly hovered near his. And without a second thought, I shook his hand. He did help me out earlier. And him helping me in the future would be nice, since I am as vulnerable as I am.
     "Great. Let's get started, shall we?" Tommy broke the shake. He glanced in Tubbos direction, Tubbo immediately started taking action as if that look held a thousand words.
     Tubbo reached in the bag and pulled out an iron shovel. This one looked clean and unused. Opposite of Tommy's sword. Tubbo then walked over towards me slowly, handing me the shovel, and motioned for me to stand up. I held the shovel tightly, still shooken up from the recent events.
     Then we all began to dig.