(MARVEL) Steve Rogers

AU: it's a songfic. this one shot is based on a song called happier. i was listening to a cover of it when i got this idea.

*since it's a songfic, words that are italics and bolded are the lyrics.

here's the link since it's not showing?
https://youtu.be/B676TKlSRKw

-----

You were known to overwork yourself. It didn't matter what you did. You did everything to the best of your ability and you always made sure it was better than the last.

But this affected your relationships. Family, friends, and even significant others. Your family and friends understood. But significant others? Not so much.

You were glad that you had a caring partner. One who would always support you to the best of his abilities. He was the one who would believe in you when others didn't.

Steve Rogers.

Of course, he was busy, but you guys always seemed to find a way back to one another. You guys were perfect for each other.

At least that's what you thought.

Lately, Steve had been distant. But you paid no attention to it since you were working on an important project for work. 

And you hadn't paid much thought into it since you just assumed that he was on more missions. Each mission was becoming longer than the last and now, you rarely saw each other.

Steve suggested the idea of living together but you refused, not wanting to burden him with you and your work. And of course, Steve reassured you, saying that maybe it wasn't the right time yet. You felt bad for rejecting his offer but you knew it was the right choice.

It was now late at night when you realized you had been working all day. But it was odd that Steve hadn't called you yet. He made daily calls, checking in on how you were doing, making sure that you were okay.

Deciding to take a breather, you shut your laptop and put on your shoes. You bundled up, as there was snow outside.

December in New York was always a nice but chilly time. The snow had always been something you admired. You felt like you could get lost, just observing the snow.

You walked out of your apartment complex, your shoes softly crunching the blanket of snow that covered the cement. You walked down the street, 29th and Park, where your favorite coffee shop was located. Slightly shivering, you rewrapped your scarf around your neck so it would fit snuggly into your outer jacket.

Heading inside the shop, you placed your order and sat next to the window on a barstool. You observed the people walking by. Couples hand in hand, singles who were looking down at their phones or blowing into their cupped hands, trying to keep themselves warm.

You started envying the couples that were walking by, feeling upset that Steve wasn't by your side. You envisioned you and Steve walking, hand in hand, laughing and staring at each other with adolescent love.

That was until you actually saw Steve, hand in hand, laughing and staring at someone with that same love and admiration that he showed you. You couldn't believe your eyes. You thought you were dreaming so you rubbed your eyes but your eyes were not fooling you.

You saw him in another's arms. Someone, who was just about his height, just a smidge shorter. But you could see how much love they had for each other. Tears welled up in your eyes but you quickly wiped them when you heard the barista call out your name.

You thanked them and slowly walked out of the coffee shop. Since Steve and his partner were in the same direction which you came from, you had no choice but to walk past them. Tears started forming again and your lip started to quiver.

Gently sipping your drink, you slowly walked back towards your apartment, trying to avoid eye contact with Steve.

'You look happier, you do,' you thought, wiping your tears. You stopped under a street light, shakily pulling out your phone. You pulled up his contact and sent him a text.

My Love <3

I think we should break up.

It was sent and you quickly saw the message go from delivered to read. You looked back in his direction and caught his eyes, which quickly widened at the sight of you. His eyes softened and his eyebrows quickly turned his face into a dejected one.

That was your breaking point. Tears flooded your eyes once more and you jokingly saluted one more time, signaling your goodbye.

Ain't nobody hurt you like I hurt you.

You turned back around as pain, relief, and sorrow flowed through you.

'I've set him free. It was my fault he felt trapped. I didn't spend as much time with him as I thought I did,' you reassured.

It's okay. I've set him free. He can do whatever he wants now.

You rode the elevator back up to your apartment, your drink was now cold in your hands. You shakily sighed and inserted your key into the lock. As you pushed the door open, you felt your phone buzz in your pocket. You unlocked your phone as you walked in, locking your door and kicking off your shoes. But the message made you set down your drink and it sent you crumpling onto the floor, sobbing.

My love <3

I'm sorry. Stay safe.