Part 12: Turn Around

|{Niko Brown}|

"How about this one?" I held up a pink dress with a yellow bow in the waist, so my daughter could decide if she liked it or not. And just like the other twenty fucking dresses I've held up, she shook her head no. I don't know what she wants to be honest.

My baby girl was getting ready to attend her very first school dance, and I took her to the store to get a dress because her mother was nowhere to be found. But what I had initially thought was going to take ten minutes was starting to drag into an hour.

"This looks nice, what do you think?" I held a purple princess dress up this time, and I swear I saw her visibly cringe.

"It's ugly." She complained.

"That was what you said about the last twenty dresses, what's really going on?"

Nyla shrugged and looked to her feet, shuffling from foot to foot like she was uncomfortable.

"Come here sweetie." I said opening my arms for a hug, which he immediately gave me. Then i picked her up and sat her on my lap, "What's wrong? You can tell me anything remember? What do I always tell you?"

"That you'll always be here for me."

"That's right. Always princess." She smiled but I could still feel her discomfort. "Are you sad that your mommy isn't doing this with you instead? Is that what's going on?"

"No daddy."

"Can you tell me what the matter is then?"

Nyla scratched her head, then looked at her feet for some time, while I patiently waited for her to settle down and tell me what's happening. Because truth be told, if i sat around these bright ass dresses much longer I might actually go insane.

"I'm not a princess." She blurted.

All I could do was look at her, because what? "What do you mean? You're my princess."

"I don't want to be a princess daddy. And I don't want to wear a dress to the party."

If I said I understood what was going on that would be a lie, but something told me to just listen even if I don't understand.

"What do you wanna wear instead?"

"Don't be mad." Her sad voice said, like it was possible for me to be mad at my favorite human.

"Impossible sweetie, tell me."

"I want a suit to match Brayden's."

Wow, I didn't see that one coming. Brayden is her best friend and also a boy, so this must be some type of game they both playing.

"A suit huh."

She nodded nervously.

"I'm guessing not a pink one?"

She crunched her face up again. "I hate pink."

"I see that now." How am i just finding this out about my daughter? I wondered, feeling a little hurt. Perhaps I haven't been paying as much attention to her as I thought I was.