Chapter 5

Phoenix

I climb into my jeep and head off to the police station to talk to Detective Rodgers who was the original Detective on my case. He actually was new to town, so he was not fooled like the rest of this town that Wyatt Knight was the perfect gentleman and the town's golden boy. He saw through his façade, and if it were not for him, I doubt Wyatt would have ever been arrested. As I drive to the police station I try and keep calm but that is easier said than done because the thought of Wyatt being able to be released early makes me shiver with fear.

I pull in and park my jeep. I lean my head against my steering wheel and take a deep breath, "You got this Nix. Regardless of what the Detective says you can handle whatever happens. You are stronger than you were before. He no longer has any power over you. You are divorced from him and no longer in his clutches. You are Phoenix Adams, and you are a survivor." I tell myself, I get out of my jeep and walk inside. I open the door and keep my head held high as most of the officers snicker at me, but I am not surprised most of the officers are guys who played football with Wyatt. And their loyalty to Wyatt is more important than protecting the community. I walk up to the desk and ask to speak to Detective Rodgers.

The woman glares at me, "You mean Sergeant Rodgers. He is no longer a Detective." I roll my eyes at the woman, "Sorry I am not up to date on everyone's promotions in this town but yes I need to speak to him."

"Well, do you have an appointment?" I shake my head, "No, I don't but I need to speak with him right away." She leans forward, "Well, no appointment then you can't meet with him." I lean forward too, now we are both inches away from each other. "Well too bad. I am not leaving here until I talk to Sergeant Rodgers. It is about my case."

"As I said, you can't see Sergeant Rodgers without an appointment." She tells me, I take a deep breath to keep my cool. This is why I barely come into town.

"What is going on here?" I look over and see Sergeant Rodgers, headed toward us. He is still as huge as he was years ago. He reminds me of a bear with how huge his muscles are the only difference instead of having red hair he now is bald with his red beard that goes past his chin. The woman says, "Sergeant. This woman is demanding to talk to you but doesn't have an appointment."

He raises an eyebrow at her, "When does so anyone need an appointment to speak to me when I am not in a meeting?"

"Well, I figured you wouldn't want to be bothered by this kind of woman?" She sneers at me; I turn my attention back to want to be wannabe malibu barbie behind the desk. "And what kind of woman am I?" I ask her.

"Obviously, a woman who has her innocent husband in jail to divert the attention off her and her lover." I close my eyes and take a deep breath, so I do not end up in cuffs for punching her in the face. I wish I had the power that Wyatt does even behind bars he still has the town eating out of the palm of his hand. Rodgers chuckles, "This town is full of idiots if none of you can recognize that Mr. Knight was an abusive alcoholic with a drug problem and his poor wife."

I interrupt him, "Ex-wife." He smiles at me, "Sorry. Ex-wife was his punching bag for him." He looks over to me, "If you would Ms. Adams follow me to my office, and we can talk. Oh, and Miss Thompson I am unavailable if anyone asks." I smirk and follow him to his office; he holds the door open for me. I take a seat across of his mahogany desk in a black leather chair.

"Ms. Adams, I am assuming you are here because of Mr. Knight's early release." I nod my head, "So it's true." He stares at my face, "You didn't know. I had told officer White to call you and inform you that Mr. Knight will be released in two months as long as he continues his good behavior."

I shake my head, "I have never received a phone call, I found out from Wyatt's mother when I ran into her at the grocery store yesterday."

"I am so sorry. You were supposed to be notified weeks ago." I run my hand through my hair and take a deep breath to calm my nerves. "I won't lie to you and say I am not scared that he is going to be released soon because he is on his best behavior in jail. He has no way of getting his hands on drugs or alcohol nor does he have the influence of this town inflating his ego that is the perfect gentleman when he really is a monster. But I am worried about when he is released because he did not want to sign the divorce papers and he always had an unhealthy obsession with me and hated when anyone talked to me. I know the only reason he signed the divorce is so he could shave off some of his time, but I know he will try and come after me." I say rambling off to him.

"Well, we can put a restraining order on him, saying he can't be within five hundred feet of you, and he isn't allowed to make any kind of contact with you. He also has to report to his probation officer. He has to remain drug and alcohol free; he will get random testing. That is all we can do until he does anything towards you." Sergeant Rodgers says to me.

"So, we have to wait until he physically hurts me again before you will step in and do anything." I say as I stand up and leave. There is no point in me staying because a piece of paper is not going to stop Wyatt. He has always said if he wants something he will just take it. "Well, thanks for your help. Make sure to notify Amanda and Henry Brooks when Wyatt kills me." I leave before he can respond. My thoughts are nothing but flashbacks of Wyatt and me while driving back home. I would go to Amanda's, but I just cannot make myself be around anyone right now.

I park my jeep in the driveway and walk into my house. I lock my doors; I start being paranoid and afraid that he is gonna sneak up on me. I sit on my couch and tell myself. "He can't get you. He is still in jail." I put my knees to my chest and wrap my arms around myself. I start practicing my deep breaths to calm down the anxiety that is building in my chest. I feel myself wrapped in a hug, I stiffen, and I hear Amanda's voice. "Shh, it's just me." I put my face in my best friend's shoulder and I cry. I cry again from the pain of my failed marriage, for being treated like less than dirt, for the death of Arabella and from the fear of Wyatt coming back and hurting me again. I am afraid to be in the clutches of his hands again. I know I will not survive if he makes me go through that hell with him again.

I have no idea how long we sit together, and she rocks with me while I cry my heart out. When I finally pull away from her, I wipe my eyes and they are tender from crying so hard. She has a gentle smile on her face. "You okay now?"

I nod, "Yeah sorry about that." She rolls her eyes, "Would you shut up. Of course, I am going to be here when you need me. Dumb bitch." We both laugh at her calling me a bitch. From Amanda it is almost like an endearment. "When did you get here?" I ask her. "About twenty minutes ago, I knocked a couple times and called out your name, but you never answered. I had a feeling that whatever the detective would tell you would send you into a panic attack."

"Yeah. Wyatt is getting out in three months if he continues to have good behavior. All they can do for my protection is give him a restraining order and have his patrol officer keep a closer eye on him. But we both know a damn piece of paper won't stop Wyatt especially since he has this whole town wrapped around his finger." I mumble out, she squeezes my hand. "I know Nix but why don't you move into my house with me and Henry. Draven will be living there too; it will make me feel better knowing you are close to us. You don't want to stress out your god baby out do you?"

I give her a fake glare, "Are you planning on using my god child against me to get anything you want?" I ask her, she gives me an innocent look. "Not always but you know I will play dirty if I need to." I roll my eyes at her, "Discuss it with the men first and if they agree to it, I will move in next week. But do not force them to say yes. Now I am headed to the barn and go for a ride to clear my head."

We walk out of my house together, and I follow her back to the barn in my jeep and she climbs in her truck. A few hours in the saddle is exactly what I need right now.

 A few hours in the saddle is exactly what I need right now