Chapter 6

Draven

I had just finished unpacking my last box into the room in Amanda's house. I was thirsty so I walked into the kitchen, I grab a beer from the fridge. Amanda is nursing her drink looking out the window. I walk next to her and ask her, "What are ya staring at cous?" She jumps and her drink spills all over her face and shirt. I laugh at her drenched appearance; I did not mean to scare her but it doesn't make it any less funny. "Seriously?" She says to me, but I am still laughing at her. She throws the rest of the drink in her cup at me, which stops me from laughing at her. I arch my eyebrow at her, "You are lucky you are pregnant, or I would be chasing your ass down like we used to as kids."

Amanda being the mature adult she is, sticks her tongue out at me. I chuckle at her childish ways, "I think we need to get Henry's head checked that he willingly agreed to spend the rest of his life with you and chose to reproduce with you."

"Shut up fucktard or I won't help you get with Nix." I quickly shut my mouth; Amanda knows how bad I have wanted to be with Nix. I will always regret not saying how I felt about her when we were both in high school because I would have never hurt her the way that bastard did. Going back to seeing what Amanda is watching, I see Nix riding a dapple-gray horse working in the ring. She looks absolutely flawless out there, she is in her element. So patient, kind, sensitive and understanding with each horse she works with, and she is just as amazing when she is talking and working with her clients as well.

I continue to watch her as the horse is being skittish of the tarp that is by the jump, even when the horse tries to bolt away from the fence. All she does is open her hands wider and sit deeper in her saddle and rides out the horse's movements. The horse rears, bucks and tries to bolt to get away from the jump but in total Nix fashion she is calm, and encouraging the horse to move closer. We continue to watch for another twenty or so minutes and the horse never jumps the fence, but the horse is able to walk past the fence without freaking out. Obviously the jumping the fence with the tarp will take time and is something Nix will be continuing to work on.

Henry comes by and slaps me on the shoulder, "Lover boy you are being creepy watching her almost like a stalker. Are you stalking her lover boy?" He laughs at me snickering as he goes over and kisses Amanda on the lips. "I am not a stalker pretty boy." He puts his hand on his heart, "Oh finally he recognizes my beauty." I shake my head, "Both of you are as messed up in the head as the other one." Your kid is screwed with weird parents. Amanda gives me the finger and calls me an asshole. I chuckle at her and I throw my beer away and decide to head outside to talk to Nix. I do grab her an icy water bottle for her to drink, since I am sure she is going to be hot after riding but that is what you can expect when you are in Texas in the middle of the day in the summer.

I walk over to the arena and I sit on the edge of the railing and watch as she is letting the horse lazily walk around the ring to cool down. She sees me, she smiles and waves at me. I give her my "panty dropping" smile as all the ladies used to tell me and I wink at her. She laughs as she continues to pat and praise the horse. After she has dismounted her horse, I walk over to her and hand her the water bottle. She opens the water bottle and takes a big gulp, "Thank you. I needed that." I see her eyeing me down she is staring at my brown hair cut which I keep cut in a buzz cut and my green eyes as she slowly moves her eyes across my body. Not that I am complaining, I love that she is enjoying staring at me because I am definitely enjoying staring at her. Phoenix is a true beauty herself her long hair that is kept in a messy bun unless she is riding then it is in a ponytail and her bright blue eyes can make any man weak in the knees or that might just be me.

"Of course, darling. I figured you needed it. You seemed like you were working hard earlier." I say to her as we both walk back towards the barn.

"So how does it feel to be back here in good old Fredericksburg?" I chuckle at her question; I could give two shits about anyone in this town besides the people here at the barn.