Chapter 1 ~ The Hogwarts Express

To say that James and Mirielle Potter were close growing up, was an understatement. Euphemia Potter worried that their closeness in age would cause the siblings to clash...And clash they did, but they loved one another fiercely, there was no doubt about that. It was a mere seven days after Mirielle came along that Euphemia and Fleamont Potter discovered they were expecting James; their biological son...Their little miracle. And Mirielle had always known that she was adopted, never taking more than a moment to ponder the thought...Euphemia and Fleamont were here mother and father and there was nothing else to it; and James was her little brother who always acted fittingly to his younger role; that was, unless, his sister was concerned...In which case, he was relentlessly over-protective...

Due to the Potter children coming along at a later stage in their parents' lives, they were showered with whatever their hearts desired growing up; but they were never spoiled children. They had an unconditional appreciation for their upbringing, being one of the wealthier Pureblood families that once belonged to the sacred 28 wizarding families. That long-held tradition soon died, however, when they were shunned by the community for their sympathy towards Muggles, Muggle-born and half-blood Wizards, alike. But they didn't mind being shunned and called 'Blood Traitors'...Not when they had each other; their small, perfect family.

Nobody ever questioned James and Mirielle's relation; for the Potter daughter had the same, ebony hair as her brother. However, her azure eyes were a stark contrast to James' hazel ones and they were both tall for their age and slender. Mirielle was a very pretty, young lady; but extremely headstrong and shared the same penchant for pranks as her brother. So, it was on the morning of 1st September 1971 that the Potter siblings decided on one last hurrah before their first day attending Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. As much as their parents would never admit, they were going to miss their two children and the pranks dearly. It was only 3 months, Euphemia reminded herself as she sat in bed with a cup of tea that very morning. 3 months, and they'll be home for Christmas. Which was Mirielle's favourite time of year.

As Euphemia and Fleamont made their way down the stairs, they tried to dismiss the sheepish smirks emitting from their children as they sat on the sofa by the fireplace. "What are you two so happy about?" Fleamount sent a suspicious smirk towards the siblings. James snickered, causing the older sister to elbow her brother angrily, holding her stern glance.

"Oh, nothing dad. Just excited for the first day at school." James quickly recomposed himself, rubbing his arm with a slight wince and a glare in his sister's direction. Fleamount's bushy eyebrows furrowed, his eyes almost disappearing beneath them as he and his wife continued with their trail into the kitchen. When they were out of sight, Mirielle turned to her brother, silently holding up three fingers and counting down. Three. Two. One.

"Who Put Bloody Floo Powder In My Coffee!?"

James and Mirielle burst into a fit of laughter, holding their stomachs as they began to stitch in pain. "Brilliant, Mill!" The Potter boy shrieked, patting his sisters leg with admiration and pride, that their prank had been a success, as usual. Mill had been a nickname given to his sister since they were able to talk; after James had decided that 'Mirielle' was far too difficult for a two year old to pronounce. Euphemia and Fleamont never corrected him, adoring the namesake his sibling had adopted. That name stuck...Never once waning over the years...

"Me? You came up with it!" She spoke accusingly, breathing rapidly to try and subdue her laughter. It was soon silent, however, as their mother entered the room with an unimpressed glare; her eyes, however, shared the same, humorous reaction as her children.

Taking a seat on the pouffe opposite them, she closed her eyes and took a deep breath. The siblings readied themselves for some reprimanding; their mother being the usual out of the Potter couple to discipline her children. "As much as I love your pranks..." She sighed, tucking a loose strand of greying hair behind her ear, her eyes finally finding her children's, "You are both going to give your father a heart attack, one day." She scolded, biting her lip in attempt to hide the smile trying to tug at the corners of her lips.