A Regular Day in Mondstadt

AU: Wow, im surprised you found this story. Please, read on. Also, i know this isn't accurate to the game, but let's just say they use horses in mondstadt, yeah?

Diluc stood in the delicate rays of the morning sun in Angel's Share. He had nothing to do when he woke up earlier than usual. So, he got dressed, pulled his untamed crimson hair into a ponytail at the top of his head, and made his way to the tavern, accomodating a refreshing early morning ride.  Once he arrived, he just absently started arranging the many wine glasses in the glass cabinets behind him. Until the door swung open, the little bell jingling with the action, startling him. 

'Greetings, Diluc.' A man with golden tan skin, navy blue hair, and an infuriating smirk strides toward the counter, slipping into the empty seat in front Diluc. 

'Kaeya,' He said bluntly. 'You do know the tavern opens around two hours from now, right?' 

'I'm aware.' Kaeya replies. 'But I'm sure you know me well enough to also be aware of the fact that I do not abide by those rules.' A smirk creeps across his lips.

'What do you want?' Diluc asks with a sigh. Diluc may come off as annoyed by Kaeya's presence, which he was, but their relationship was getting much better, since a little after the Stormterror incident. Sure, Kaeya is manipulative and mysterious, but... It was wrong of Diluc to lash out, that night. It wasn't Kaeya's fault. He knew where his loyalties were. In Mondstadt. Not his homeland, the nation of Khaenri'ah, a domain shrouded from the Archon's gaze. 

Kaeya had had countless chances to betray Mondstadt, to put the city of the wind at risk economically, by sabotaging the wine industry, or just by that cruel mastermind of his, handing the place over to the Abyss Order, an organization made of the original beasts of Khaenri'ah. 

But he never did. 

What Diluc did... was unforgivable. He still has nightmares...

What if he'd killed his brother that night?

The only thing stopping him in the end, after he'd burned and butchered Kaeya's left arm, and Kaeya had recieved his Cryo Vision, was this mysterious gas that flooded into the place, putting them both to sleep... and then he'd woken up in the cathedral. None of them spoke about that gas. They just... left the matter. 

Sometimes Diluc looks back to that day. It's painful, but he recalls what Kaeya told him...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Diluc... I- I want to tell you something...' 

'Now's not the time, Kaeya! Do-Do you not see what's happened? Our dear father, he's dead! Gone!' 

'Diluc... I'm... I'm a spy from the Abyss.' 

'I'm sorry. I was placed here to sabotage the economy here through the wine industry. I was around ten years old, and didn't understand much of my mission. I thought it should be simple enough. I didn't know what was right and what was wrong. I- I lived in guilt and fear, Mondstadt welcomed me with open arms. They welcomed a traitor. If the knew... And what if they found out? I'd have nowhere to go. Nothing to do. My father... didn't give me a heads-up or anything. Just left. "Our last hope" he said. and I knew he was planting me here for the mission. I was heartbroken, so much so that I'd almost forgot about my duty. I didn't know what I was going to do with my two families. But now I do. I have for a while. My loyalties lie in-'

'You bastard!'

'You're a scam, a spy! All those years, you pretended to be my friend? My brother? I- I can't believe this. I- No. Dad raised you. all of Mondstadt was there for you. Yet you-'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And that's when things got dirty. Curses flew and weapons clashed. Only later did he realize Kaeya was going to say "Mondstadt."

Kaeya waved his hands in front of Diluc. 'Diluc? Hey, Diluc-'

'Yes?' Diluc replied, blinking. 'What?'

'May I get a bottle of Death Afternoon, please?' Kaeya asked, his eyes twinkling like they do when he gets alcohol. 'Maybe we can go for a walk around the city. It's been a while...' 

'Fine.' Diluc simply replies, getting the wine. 

'Fine for a walk, too?'