30 LUCKY CHARM

Song for this chapter- Get Me by Justin Bieber ft Kehlani

"Enough with the vocals and serenading. Who's ready to hear some bars tonight?"
The MC shouts, and the crowd responds with a series of hoots and cheers and the nerves I felt begin to wear off, replaced by pure raw vibes.

"Coming up now, it's an artiste who is going to rock your world! She gon' take you to the peak of hip hop as it is! Give it up for KHARISE!!!"

I revel in the thunderous cheer of the crowd as I half jog out, mic in hand.

Judging by the fact that I'm new to this, I wasn't expecting such an ovation. Honestly, I was expecting a tough crowd.
The intro part of my song, 'Party Party' starts blaring through the speakers and I close my eyes, already bouncing on the balls of my feet to the rhythm.

"What's good, New York?!!!"
The crowd erupts in cheers and the feeling is purely intoxicating.
"This one here is for you!"

I get to the centre stage right where the spotlights meet. Luckily for me, Brent had briefed me this week with what he called 'Upstage Training' and thanks to that I'm not holding my hands up in front of my face due to the obnoxiously bright lights.

And then I begin doing what I do best.
Rapping my fucking heart out.

"Yeah everybody
Let's get this party started
Light it up like fucking rockets
'Cause there ain't nothing to it
Blow this place up to the roof
Let everybody know about it-"

All of a sudden, the lights in the concert ground flash, and my voice is no longer playing through the speakers.
Just the beats.

And here I was wondering when the universe would catch up to me. A little late if I must say.

I test my mic again and again.
Nothing.
I look around for some form of help as the cheers in the crowd slowly die down.

Well, fuck. My night is ruined.

My eyes eventually land on Danté who is offstage. I mouth help.

He has what I read as a hellish look in his eyes as he storms off the stage and I really hope that he is going to get this fixed.

Not that it would matter, since I'm already losing my audience.

This night was supposed to be perfect.
This is a disaster.

I place my palm against my forehead, sighing in exasperation. I feel so fucked up right now.

The image of my dad saying,' I told you so' has me nearly growling in anger. Earl is going to kill me. I'm absolutely ruined-

"Oh my frickin gosh, I love you so much Kharise! I love your music!"
A girl, roughly younger than me gushes from the audience.

"I love you, Kharise!"