14 BACK TO THE TOP

Song for this chapter- Pain Killers by Toosii

***

"So you sing?"

I nearly breakdown in tears from the pressure that's on my shoulders right now.
It's Thursday afternoon and I'm running out of damn time.

When I ran out of ideas, I decided to invite Kharise out for a snack after school.

After a few rounds of smoothies and burgers, she asked where I lived and I took the opportunity to take her to my house. And no, not for what you're thinking. I was hoping that looking at my living room with the keyboard, sound/beat mixer and mic stands with my headphones scattered across the sofas would motivate her to want to do something. Spit some bars maybe.

However, she takes one look at all this and starts to ask a lot of annoying questions about myself, such as if I sing.

Good thing I packed up all my scripts. I don't know how I would have explained that.
Now, what to tell her...

"Uh not exactly, I just like to mess around."

"Oh really?"

"Yeah, my voice ain't all that."

"With the sort of equipment that would only be found in a professional studio. Sure."
She gives me a suspicious look but, thankfully, lets it slide. She steps around me to set up a mic stand and places it in front of me. She settles down in front of the mixer, moving the switches and pressing buttons like she does it for a living.

"How do you-"
"I have a smaller version of this at home."
She answers before I am done asking.

"Alright."
She picks up a guitar beside the couch and hands it to me.
"Here, you're gonna play this."

I should really start putting things in order in here.

I nod in answer.

"Okay, show me what you got."
She returns to her position on the couch.

I chuckle lightly at the irony of the situation, trying to decide whether to just be modest or go full Danté.

"Do I have to?"
Modest it is.

"Yeah, I mean, your voice can't be as bad as mine."
She says, giving me a mocking look.
Oh you just don't know.

"Alright, hit record. It's the green-"
She quickly interrupts.

"I know where it is. Now try not to destroy my ears."

I scoff, balancing the guitar properly along my frame.
Then it hits me.

"Hey, how come I'm the only one who gets to embarrass himself. You should get in on this too or else I'm not doing it."
I sit on a nearby couch to further emphasize my point.