Chapter 7

trigger warning: anxiety attack, sexual content, mature themes

May 31, 2025

'Dreams came to me with a particular sweetness and intensity

after a little debauch, they came with

repentance and tears, with curses and raptures.'

-Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Notes from Underground

'I'll just be one second.' I apologetically tell Warren, stepping out of the Range Rover and lifting up the silk of my dress so it doesn't touch the sidewalk.

This dress was custom made for me from a design that I sketched, a one of a kind white silk engagement dress, with a halter neck and an open back, made perfectly to fit my body. The soft silk falls loosely, but tailored in just the right way to come in at my waist and flow out at my hips.

'You can take as long as you need. Just don't get caught if it starts raining.' Warren replies, briefly putting his hand on mind. Goldman Sachs is the last thing on his mind tonight on the night of our engagement party. We're going to be there a few hours earlier than everyone else, giving us time to have photos taken and to go over the plan for the night one last time, so we do have a few extra minutes to spare, but I still feel bad.

'Sorry Naomi.' I quickly add in, speaking to my favourite driver. She turns her head and gives me a bright smile.

'It's no sweat off my back.' She laughs. 'I like to be parked as much as I like to drive.'

'And that's why we love you.' I laugh, lifting this dress up higher to avoid the train sweeping along the sidewalk and quickly walk into the building where the Bode office is. An hour ago, I realised that I'd left the coat I was going to wear tonight at The Loft, and regrettably asked if we could stop by on the way to the venue so I could grab it.

I went to see the venue this morning and see if there was anything I could do to help after my weekly tennis match with Warren, but was met with Gladys alongside our planner Mindy, managing our huge team of decorators and caterers and just about everyone under the sun, turning the space into ours, and there wasn't anything I could do to help. The Grand Ballroom at The Plaza New York for my engagement party puts even my childhood wedding plans to shame. I'm not sure how we can go more extravagant than this for the wedding.

When I unlock the door to the Bode office, I'm surprised to find coffee mugs, takeout containers from Emily's favourite Chinese restaurant, sketches Emily drew and fabrics I've found from all over the world strewn across our meeting table. This looks like the remnants of one of Emily's creative outbursts, which must have been a serious one for her to come into the office on a Saturday.