Chapter 8

June 2, 2025

'Tell you this story without having to

confess anything...tell you this story

without having to be in it.'

- Richard Siken, The Torn-Up Road

'Hey.' Alanah greets Emily and I, standing at the top of the staircase. 'Someone was in the lobby delivering these for you, S.'

She places a clear glass vase filled with red roses on my desk, so many roses in the vase that they all come out on angles from being so tightly packed, making a perfect dome shape.

'Thank you.' I reply, pulling out the card slotted in the middle of the sea of petals.

'Those are impressive, wow.' Emily comments, as I open the card.

Thank you for signing the prenup, petal. I love you, and I can't wait to marry you.

Warren

A rush of blanketing comfort covers me as I read his note, feeling overwhelmingly appreciative to be loved by him. And if signing a piece of paper will allow me to marry Warren, then I will sign it. I just need to marry him, and a prenup doesn't mean that our marriage means anything less like I thought. A prenup is just customary because we both have assets. I know I don't deserve him, but he loves me, and I love him, and this isn't an exit plan.

He can't wait to marry me, and I can't wait to marry him.

'Who are they from?' Emily asks, walking over to my desk to get a better look at the flowers, while Alanah stands in the corner quietly putting some fabrics down on a chair.

'They're from Warren.' I answer, grabbing my phone from beside me to call him to thank him.

'Oh, that was sweet of him.' Alanah comments, gazing out the window.

'Was there any reason?' Emily asks.

'Uh..no, not really a reason.' I reply. I don't want to share this with them, or with anyone, and there's no need for them to know. I step away from my desk, walking over to our building's roof balcony to call him. 'I'm just going to call him.'

Emily gives me a nod and Alanah isn't paying enough attention to realise I even spoke, and so I step out and call him.

'Hi, petal.' His voice comes through the line after a few rings, a tone like he knows why I'm calling being very evident. 'Did you get my delivery?'

'I did.' I smile lightly, twisting my ring between my fingers out of habit. 'I just wanted to call to say thank you.'

'Well, it wasn't a problem. Alicia told me she was going to order 12 because they're the amount to give to declare love, so I told her to multiply it by three for you.' He informs me, clear charm in his voice and it makes me smile. 'Dad and Gladys will be happy it's been signed.'

'I thought they would be.' I reply, leaning against the exterior wall of The Loft. 'I'm sorry I took so long to sign it, I was just..being ridiculous about it.'

'Well, it's signed now.' He replies casually, suddenly sounding a bit distracted by voices in the background. 'Hold on, Josh and Mitchell are at my door.'

'That's alright.' I reply lightly, shifting my attention to the view of the other buildings surrounding our office. Before long, his voice is back.