Part 7: A Pink Heart

Chapter 7: A Pink Heart

Cyras enjoyed picking out snacks as they prepared for the Towers tournament. They'd have snacks before training sessions, between training sessions, after training sessions, really anytime she felt hungry. Apparently this was essential for teaching. Sometimes a reward came after Cyras learned something new or figured out a neat trick, or understood a ruling.

"Cyras, what you did to Owlis was wrong. You're not going to implicate me, or say that I've been housing you, okay?"

"Gee, why have you always been so uptight about anyone knowing I'm a Wilder anyway?"

"Wilders aren't allowed in the kingdom," Ahmond said.

Cyras saw a clear weak spot in Ahmond's game, and got the sixth win in a row. The coywolf puffed her cheeks out.

"You just started playing, and you're already beating me so easily," the coywolf said, "You're a natural."

Cyras shrugged, before explaining, "My main plan is I not only make what I think is a good move, but I think about the statistical probabilities. If I have three copies of a card, but have seven cards that can search that card, and I have sixty cards in my reserves, then I draw seven, I'm guaranteed to draw the card I want."

With a nod, Ahmond pretended to understand, before saying, "You have Rosod's sorta approach."

"Well, if I have ten cards out of sixty that give me what I want, then I have a one in six chance to get one of them, and if I draw seven cards, then I'm going to get one of them," Cyras told her.

"No, no, I get that you cheat," Ahmond told her with a grin, "just that, I'm never going to understand this stuff and that's why Lilu and Rosod keep making fun of how I suck at playing."

"Would not say ever. You probably never try to apply yourself."

Ahmond rolled her eyes, before blowing air.

"Also," Cyras asked while shuffling, "why aren't we allowed in the kingdom? Aren't you all Wilders? Just that you have rules and stuff?"

"Just something about the laws here," Ahmond said, "I really doubt I could explain everything to you."

"Why did you two want me to stay here if housing me could easily get you into trouble?"

"I already told you, we're friends."

"Are you really going to risk going to jail over me? You've only known me for a few days."

"I've done worse for Lilu," Ahmond told her.

"I just have a problem understanding how you could be friends with her when she's so mean and straightforward, and you're so..." Soft, weak, a little bit meek. "...Not like that."