Chapter 2: The Light in the Darkness

Little Nachet woke up to the wind whistling around her. She shivered and climbed out of the now wet log. It had been three days since her mother had disappeared, and she kept coming back to the log. She looked around for her mama and remembered it wasn’t a dream. Her father was dead, her mother was gone, she was all alone in the world. She walked out into the cold, crisp air. The leaves blew around her as her feet crunched the leaves under her paws. She sniffled and the wind tossed her fur around like the wind tossed the leaves around. Suddenly a big gust of wind pushed her towards a river nearby. She slipped on a rock falling into the rapids. Because of the rain the river rushed faster than normal, and she was quickly swept down the river. She gasped for air crying for help but no one heard her. Suddenly got hit by a big log and she blanked out. She was pushed under the raging river and her paw got stuck under a rock. All of a sudden there was a large bang and a bright light hit the side of a mountain nearby causing the rocks to fall into the lake and trapping little Nachet under the water. Above the rushing river, Aurora the golden yellow wolf with wings as bright as the sun jumped as a blue light whizzed past her just one foot away. She realized how lucky she was that the light didn’t hit her. She looked up into the sky to see the king of the dark and the queen of the light fighting. She breathed hard, her wings turning purple and then heard a loud crash. She stumbled back from the force turning back to her white golden color. She then sighed and got up to go investigate the damage of the blast. She looked at the rocks that fell in the river. Suddenly her ears perked up. She could see the faintest purple glow under water. She realized that there was something stuck down there. Her wings turned a color of light blue wanting to help the poor thing. Without hesitation she gracefully jumped into the water. The water was chilly on this cold fall day and her wings turned from light blue to dark blue. The water was dark and murky from the rocks falling in and Aurora carefully swam around the sharp rocks. She looked around the murky waters looking for whatever was the source of that light. She was losing air but didn’t want to go back up again in fear of the thing being dead when she found it. She stopped suddenly. The thing was a pup. A dark pup. A dark magic pup. She started to swim back up. She was going to let the pup die, dark magic was bad. But then she stopped and her wings turned light blue again. She swam as fast as she could back down. She couldn’t leave the pup to drown, it wasn’t the pups fault that she was born with dark magic powers. She would help it make sure it was ok and then leave it. She grabbed the pup by its scruff. She pulled hard but the pup wouldn’t budge. She then realized a rock was on her foot and pushed as hard as she could and after a little bit of shoving, the rock came off the pup’s foot. The young pup's foot was crushed pretty badly. She grabbed the pup and swam back up the surface. She dodged the logs and rocks floating down the river and finally clawed her way up the steep bank to safety. She then coughed up water and gasped for air dropping the pup on the ground. She then looked down at the pup and realized the pup wasn’t breathing. She started to panic. Even though this was a dark magic pup she didn’t want it to die. She rubbed the kitsune's nose, her wings turning purple. One word repeated in her head. “wake up. Wake up. WAKE UP!” Suddenly Nachet the kitsune coughed out water. Aurora sighed. Nachet didn’t raise her head as she was so tired and so weak. Aurora shook the water off her fur and looked around her. Night was starting to fall and Aurora didn’t want to leave the poor pup there, so she picked up the pup and ran off into the woods. After 10 minutes of running she stopped and walked into her den that was nearby. It was warm in the small cave. It had two beds and a small fire pit in the middle. She set the pup down on the bed and went out to get some wood. She came back and lit the fire and placed some leaves near it and placed the kitsune on the leaves so she could warm up. She then realized how thin the pup was. She then decided to go get some food for the poor pup. She couldn’t resist helping the pup because she had a sister who was such a young pup. Her sister had died falling into the same river this pup had fallen into. Aurora wanted a sister after that so badly. She went out into the darkness, her eyes widening to take in more light. She walked slowly through the forest not making a sound. The only sound that could be heard was the whistling of the wind and the hooting of an owl. Out of the corner of her eye she spotted a deer grazing on some grass nearby. She slowly snuck behind it and pounced. She came back dragging the dear by the neck. She nudged the pup and the pup answered “Mama?” she smiled turning a bright yellow. Then the pup looked around and jumped. This wasn’t Nachets mother. It looked like the light that took mama away from her. She ran and hid under a small shrub growing in the cave. Aurora's ears went down as she turned her light blue and decided to give the pup a night to relax before she tried to talk to it.  She then curled up and fell asleep. Little Nachet thought she was hidden and the wolf gave up and couldn’t find her and fell asleep as well under the shrub. The fire flickered and crackled as the two fell into a deep sleep.