Chapter 13: It's Only The Beginning...

Ana

The Christmas Truce, as I so nicknamed it, lasted much longer than just Christmas. Michael was trying to be good for Lizzie's sake, and I think he was able to see that all the guys were actually not who he thought they were. It was a nice change from what had happened at the beginning of this relaxing vacation.

For the most part after that, it was pretty boring. We all just hung out in the cabin waiting for the snow to melt a bit so we could walk out the door. We had an epic Mario Kart Championship (in which I made it to the final four) and had incredibly long movie marathons that lasted until four a.m. All in all, it was a pretty relaxing time.

New Years was also pretty fun. We sat on the couch watching New Year's Rockin' Eve and the various music acts that were on the show that night, as well as eating various snacks and reminiscing about the past year's events. We had a good reason to, for our year had been filled with excitement.

The next day, we were to bring the boys back to the airport. Their break was still going a bit longer, but they wanted to see their family a bit before they were whisked back into the world of the music industry. Kyle and Michael still had a bit more time here to spend with their respective families.

We shared stories from the summer and other various periods in our lives, laughing about the silliness and misguidedness of our younger selves. We sat back and relaxed, and it was definitely one of the better times I had had throughout the year that was ending.

When the countdown for the New Year began, we all sat up straighter and started counting down all together. "Ten..." This was it.

"Nine...eight...seven..." This was the beginning of our future.

"Six...five...four..." Now, we were going to move on into the rest of our lives, and for the first time, we would be completely in control.

"Three...two...one! Happy New Year!" And now, it was starting.

Everyone shared hugs and kisses, cheering as we were sent into a completely new year. A rousing rendition of Auld Lang Syne was started by one of the boys, and we all joined in so quickly I can't even tell you who started it. We sang it all with rounds of laughter and bright smiles, jokingly swaying back and forth with our arms around each other. It was definitely a highlight of the break.

At about one in the morning, we all said goodnight to each other and went to bed. Later that day, we were going to have to say goodbye, and that was something we were not looking forward to. But it had to be done, and we knew this wasn't the end.

At about ten in the morning, though, we had woken up, packed up, and gotten in the van. The snow had melted a bit, and we could actually exit the cabin, which was a welcome change. However, this meant that we had to say goodbye to Tanner. We exchanged goodbyes with the young man, and Simone gave him a lingering hug. He was one of her best friends, after all. Even the 1D boys gave him a nice farewell, adding that they had enjoyed hanging out with him over the snow-filled break. So, as we piled in the van, Tanner waved goodbye to all of us.