*Chapter 4: The Truth About Zelly

Kelly

On a normal night, at midnight I would be asleep. But tonight, I couldn’t. Everyone had turned in to bed at about eleven, probably. Everyone also was probably asleep by now.

I was probably the only exception to the rule tonight, though. I lay in my bed, staring up at the ceiling. Over on the other side of the room, Lizzie slept peacefully.

I closed my eyes and tried to sleep again. I went through all the techniques I had heard about: counting sheep for example. But sadly, it didn’t work. Nothing did. No matter how much I tried, I couldn’t do a thing. It really annoyed me.

I tried another solution. This was to think about happy thoughts, apparently to influence positive dreaming and to calm me down in order to get me to rest peacefully. It worked with Ana, apparently. Then again, her positive dreams might be calmer than the happy thoughts I have.

Like I guessed would happen, I couldn’t get myself to fall asleep. I tried my hardest. I pictured my newest art project, for example. It was really a pencil on paper sketch that I was working on at the moment, but it would end up being a beautiful painting when I was completely done with it. This, though, didn’t work.

I pictured next the moment earlier today when we were all at the dinner table. We were all chatting and smiling, at least before Kyle’s phone call. This still worried me to be completely honest. What was going on with Kyle? I had known him for years before this, and I had never seen him like this before now. Maybe I’d ask Courtney tomorrow…I mean, today.

Anyway, the thing I really liked about dinner was the fact that we were all together. The six girls and I were all there, as well as the boys who had made our summer the most amazing summer we’d ever had: the One Direction guys. Of course, Kyle and Michael being there made it incredible too. But this happy moment didn’t help much either. I still couldn’t fall asleep.

One last thought popped into my mind, and I decided to try it: I thought of Zayn. We hadn’t had much time to talk, just the two of us, about what our story really was. Were we together, or were we just good friends, or would my Facebook status stay at “It’s Complicated”? Either way, I didn’t know the answer. But, this didn’t matter. He still made me smile when I thought of him. Cheesy, I know, but I can’t help it. He just had that effect on me.

Even Zayn couldn’t help me sleep. What was up with me? Why couldn’t I get any rest?

I groaned softly, and swung my feet out over the edge of the bed, my bare feet brushing the ground. I stood up and dusted my pajamas off before I walked out the door. I tiredly went up the stairs to find some water. Maybe that was what I needed; something to drink, or maybe something to eat. It was worth a shot, anyway.

I found a glass in the pantry in the kitchen and filled it up with some ice water. Once I did this, I grabbed a granola bar from the cabinet and went to take a seat at the table. As I sipped my water and ate the granola bar, I thought about what my big hope had been since we got here: finding the truth about Zayn and me.