Battle at Haven Pt. 2

Everything around me was quiet. Everything except for the constant ringing in my ears. I was sobbing with my hands over my face.   

"Lily... Lily! Lily, get up!"

I heard Jaune's voice faintly calling out to me, but I didn't respond to it. First Shadow... Now Ash... I couldn't protect them. Why am I so useless? Why can't I be stronger? 

Giving up feels so easy right now, but...

I looked over at Yang as she was having trouble fighting Mercury. My family can't meet the same fate. I have to help them. 

I got up and stopped Mercury's attack from reaching Yang the same time Ruby appeared beside me. Ash is right. "Thanks, guys." Yang said, standing to her feet. 

"Are you alright, Lily?" Ruby asked. "No," I answered. "I'm angry."

I attacked first as I began to fight Mercury with hand-to-hand combat. I guess all that training really paid off as I was able to dodge most of his kicks. 

We managed to hold the enemy back for a bit, but everyone was losing their strength and fast. Mercury, who still had plenty of energy, lunged towards me to kick me, but Yang stopped him. 

"I've got your back, sis." She said. I smiled with a nod, then proceeded to attack Lionheart before he had a chance to fire one of his fireballs at Oscar. 

"You brat!" The headmaster snapped. I frowned and transformed before stalking towards him. Scared, Lionheart ran off in the direction of his office and I chased after him. 

As he ran into his office, he shut the doors behind him. I tried to open it, but he locked them. "Come and face me, coward!" I shouted while pounding my fists on the door. 

Salem's POV

"And where might you be going?" I asked Lionheart, communicating through the Seer. "Uh, Your Grace!" Lionheart said. "I was just looking for something."

"Leonardo, do you have something you wish to tell me?" I asked. 

"It was Cinder! She altered the plan! Huntsmen showed up here! Qrow! Several students, two with silver eyes! The White Fang attack, it was stopped! I don't know that they'll be able to recover the Relic..." Leonardo explained.

I stared at him through the Seer, not responding as I heard pounding on the door behind me.

"Your Grace, I can still be of assistance! If I leave now, I-I can avoid the authorities and come find you! I'll do whatever it takes!"

Again, I didn't respond. "Your Grace?" Suddenly, he attacked, and the Seer interfered by knocking his weapon off its arm.

Leonardo made a run for the door and the Seer used one of its tentacles to grab his ankle, tripping him to the floor. "Please, ma'am! I'll do anything! I can still be useful!" He begged.

I commanded the Seer to wrap all its tentacles around him and it dragged Leonardo towards it. "Please! PLEASE!"

The Seer stabbed Leonardo once and Leonardo weakly pleaded, "Please..."

The Seer stabbed him again and he was dead. I sat there in my chair as I stared at his corpse, unamused. "Coward..." I mumbled.

My gaze went to the office doors as they burst open. Rushing inside, was a Grimm humanoid. "What's this?" I murmured, slightly amused.

I slightly leaned forward with interest as I had the Seer stand there. "Where are you, Lionheart?!" The Grimm humanoid yelled, angrily in a female voice.

She gasped when she saw his corpse, taking a small step back. "What... happened?"

The Grimm humanoid averted her gaze to the Seer and transformed into Lily. "Lily Rose..." I murmured while narrowing my eyes. 

Her power is far greater than I imagined. "Salem...?" She mumbled. That's when my interest was piqued further. Can she see me? Sense me, perhaps?

"Lily!" I heard a female voice call. She looked towards the direction of the voice, then back at the Seer before hesitantly running out of the office.

"Interesting..." I murmured.

Lily's POV

I ran out of the office, then over to Ruby. "Are you okay? Where's Lionheart?" She asked while hugging me. "He's... dead." I informed. 

"What?"

"I don't know what happened. When I got to his office, he was already dead," 

I don't know why, but for some reason I left out the part about the Grimm being in the office as well. "Is everyone alright? How's Weiss?" I asked. 

"She's fine. Let's head back." Ruby said. I followed her to the main hall. When we got there, I spotted the white cloak Ash was wearing lying there on the ground. 

Subconsciously, I walked over to it and got on my knees, picking up the fabric in my hands. 

"Ash..." I whispered. Tears fell from my eyes, and I held the fabric to my face. "It's all my fault... I'm so sorry, Ash." 

I felt a hand on my shoulder from behind. "Lily, I... I'm sorry..." Jaune said. 

I didn't reply as I started crying. That's when I felt something tug at the end of the cloak. "Lily, look!" Nora said as she pointed at the cloak. 

"Huh?" I looked up and saw something moving from beneath the fabric. After a few more movements from under the cloak, the fabric was pulled off. 

I gasped when I saw it was Ash, small but alive. "A-Ash?!" I said.

"He's... alive?!" Ren said, shocked. Ash yawned while rubbing an eye with his tiny fist, then looked at me. "Mommy?" He said in a sleepy tone, then cheered, "Mommy!"

He threw himself at me and hugged my neck. I hugged him back tightly. "I had a bad dream, and it was scary," He said, looking at me. "I went away, and you were sad, and I thought we wouldn't see each other again."

I sniffled and wiped my eyes. "It's okay, Ash. You're not going anywhere, and neither am I." I assured with a soft smile. Ash smiled back at me, and we shared a hug once more.