The North Pole

Instead of taking us back to the horse, the reindeers took us to a freezing arctic, where there was nothing but snow and ice all around us. "Is this okay, Dad?" Charlie asked Dad, who stood up and looked around upset. "No, it's not okay!" He told Charlie before he looked at the reindeer. "Hey, does this look like home to you guys?"

Suddenly the reindeer managed to detached themselves from the sleigh and run away, leaving us stranded. "No, no! No, no, no, no! Hey, hey! Where you going? Come back here! Oh." Dad sat back down, frustrated. "Way a go, Charlie." I said. "(Name)..." Dad said, in a tired tone. "What I'd do?" Charlie asked.

"'What I do?'" I repeated in a mocking tone. "Hmm I don't know. Maybe we wouldn't be freezing to death right now, if you hadn't made Dad play Santa!" I said, leaning over Charlie. "We couldn't just leave all those kids without presents." He said. "We? What did you do? All you did was sit in the sleigh while Dad and I did all the work."

"Hey, hey, hey! (Name)! Enough, alright? We're both tired and we're all freezing. Let's not fight, okay?" Dad said, putting his hand on my shoulder and pushing me back, so I was no longer leaning over Charlie. I let out a 'hmph', hugging myself for warmth. Can this night get any worse?

At that moment we heard footsteps, before a child appeared around a mountain of snow, walking towards us. "Hey, hey! Hey, buddy! You, sir! Hey!" The child ignored Dad's calls and took off their gloves, sticking their hand into a pile of snow.

"Can you hear me?" Dad asked, before a candy cane pole raised out of the pile of snow. "What's that?" Dad asked us. "I don't know. I think it's the North Pole." Charlie answered. "That's the North Pole?!" I asked, getting real tired of this charade.

The child open a little pad on the pole and started typing something. "Hey, buddy, we need some help. Hello! What are you doing?" The pad closed and ground under us shook, before we are lower down, like we're on an lift.

"What's going on?" I asked, looking up to see the top closed up as we're lowered further down. "Hey, look! Here comes the new Santa!" I heard a child voice say, before we are lower down in a big colorful room, that was filled with children and the reindeer who somehow got down here before us.

"Sit back." Dad said, reaching over my, to pushing Charlie back. The snow lift we were on, finally came to a stop when we reach the bottom. "Where are all the grownups?" Dad asked. "This is so cool!" Charlie said. "Oh yeah! A hidden lair in the arctic full of kids. Yeah this is cool and not at all creepy." I said, sarcastically.

"Stay here. (Name), do not let Charlie out of your sight." Dad told us, before he climbed out of the sleigh, stopping a girl with a plate of reindeer food. "Hey, kid, kid. Kid, who's in charge here?"

Charlie went to stand up, but I grabbed his shoulder and pulled him back down. "Oh no, no, no,no! We are not stepping out of this sleigh." I told him. "You don't have to be scared, (Name)." He told me. "I'm not scared." I told him. "It's okay. I know you have metathesiophobia."

"I... Wha... Huh?" I asked. "Fear of change. Neil says you avoid change because you're extremely afraid of the unknown." Charlie said, so casually without blinking an eye. He's an little seven year old, saying words I can't even pronounce properly.

"You know, I really don't like your Step-Father." I said, Charlie just stared at me not saying a word. "Look, I don't have... meta... sea... feda... whatever you said, okay? This place is just giving me the heebie-jeebies."

"You mean you're scared?" Charlie asked. "No!" I then notice Dad wasn't around anymore. "Dad?" I look around, not seeing any sigh of him. "Where did he go?!" I asked, standing up to try and get a better view. "He went that way, talking to one of the elves." Charlie said, pointing towards a hallway.