Returning To The North Pole

I stood in front of a mirror in the changing room of the boutique, I was pulled in just a year ago. I look down at my elf clothes that were given to me by the tailors, before I look in the mirror, smiling at myself. It all just... felt strangely right. Like this is where I was meant to be all along.

"Everything alright, Lass?" One the tailors asked from outside the changing room. "Yeah, just... admiring the work." I said, grabbing the curtain and pulling it out of the way to reveal myself. "Oooh it looks lovely on you, Dear!" The other tailor told me, clapping her hands in excitement.

"Aye, it just missing something." The first tailor, held out the Elf hat that set this whole thing in motion. I don't even know how it got here, but I'm actually glad to see it again. I grab the hat, putting it on my head to complete the look. "Now you look perfect, Lassie. Me best work yet!" The tailor said with a proud smile. "Our best work yet." The other tailor remind him.

"Is she done yet? Because we have only till..." Bernard enter the boutique, coming to an halt, starting at me with his mouth open and his eyes widen. I stood there, nervously grabbing my arm and pull it behind my back. "Uh... how do I look?" I asked, with a nervous smile.

"You uh..." Bernard let out a cough. "P-pretty good. We-we should go... do uh... what we're supposed to do now." Bernard said pointing to the exit with both hands, his eyes still glue to me. "Alright." I walk towards Bernard, who clear his throat and smile nervously. "L-let's go, then!" He led the way similar to last year as well.

"Oh! Can I have your necklace, back?" He asked, coming to a stop. I stop as well and tilted my head to the side a little, in confusion. "I uh... I actually like to make some adjustments to it. Should be ready by the time you and Santa get back." He explains, trying to lock eyes with me. But he kept getting too nervous and would look away.

"Oh... okay." I reach my hands behind my neck, to on clip the necklace, taking it off and handing it to Bernard. Bernard smiles and place the little charm in his satchel. "By the way, Bernard. There's something I've wanted to talk to you about." I said, causing Bernard to suddenly clap his hands together. "Oh! Would you look at the time! We better get moving, come on!" He then hurried off down the hallway, leaving me there stun.

After meeting up with Dad who got dressed in an all red Santa outfit, Bernard lead us to a garage type workshop. "Charlie's got some great ideas on how to keep you and (Name) safe." Bernard explained, as we walked down the stairs to where a new sleigh was being worked on. An elf with curly hair step up, with Bernard introducing us to him. "Santa, (Name), this is Quintin, head of research and development."

"Quintin, good to meet ya." Dad said, as we shook Quintin's hand. "Hello, Santa, (Name). Charlie and I have put our heads together. I think we've got a few surprises for you." Quintin said with a smirk, before he walked off. "This is some of the best stuff that's come out of the workshop since the ball." Bernard told us, leading us off to somewhere else. "Fabulous. What happens if I fall off the roof?" Dad asked, getting no answer from Bernard.

Dad and I were seated down, where the elves blew fire onto two outfits. "Fireplaces will no longer be a problem." Bernard said, walking behind us with his arms cross, and a smile on his face. When the elves finally stop shooting their flamethrowers, Quintin and Judy walk up to the outfits, that remain undamaged from the flames. "It's a new fabric. Completely flame retardant. It's light, yet durable." Quintin explained

"And you can wear the jumpsuit under your coat and pants." Judy told us. "But what do I do if I fall off a roof?" Dad asked again, once again, getting no answered. "Is this really necessary? I mean, who leaves their fireplace going at night? Isn't that dangerous?" I asked.

"You be surprised. It's always better to be safe than sorry." Bernard told me. "If that's the case, then what do I do if I fall off a roof?" Dad asked once more, still going ignored. The rest of the evening was spent, seeing all the new improvement Charlie made with the Elves. Kid is eight years old and creating all these new stuff like it's child's play. It's crazy.