Chapter 4

"We brushed our teeth and got our pyjama's on." Josie said. "Good job sweetie. Where do you want to sleep?" Michelle asked making Sersi turn to Ric asking if this was it for the sleepover. "It's about the mornings for them. Every time they have a sleepover, Michelle makes pancakes in the morning and they love it. That's why she has to be here tomorrow as well as do you guys. It buys Ikaris some time to convince her to stay close"

"Can we sleep in your room?" Lizzie asked. "Of course, let's go up so I can read you a story." Michelle told them. "Can Ikaris read us a story? He has a pretty voice" Josie asked making Michelle smile slightly. "You can go ask him" Michelle told them. "Can you come with, please?" Lizzie asked giving Michelle her puppy dog eyes. "Sure sweetie." Michelle caved.

"Ikaris?" He heard the beautiful voice of his mate coming from behind him. "Yes love?" He asked. "Josie and Lizzie wanted to ask you something, right girls?" "Will you read us a story with auntie M?" Josie asked shyly. "I would love to." Ikaris told the girls gently. "Let's go pick one out!" Lizzie told Josie before rushing off towards their room for a book and towards Michelle's room to lay in bed.

"Thank you" Michelle told Ikaris. "Anytime love. I know they mean a lot to you. You're good with them. They really love you" Ikaris told her, smiling at her before brushing a stray hair out of her face making Michelle turn red. They got lost in each other's eyes before "auntie M, Ikaris! We're ready!" "Shall we?" Ikaris asked, placing his hand on the small of her back to guide her towards the stairs.

"Ikaris! Can you read this story?" Josie asked, making Lizzie add "we want auntie M to be the princess and you to be the prince". This made Michelle turn bright red making Ikaris' heart beat just a little faster. The children were warming up to him and that could really help him.

Reading the story while replacing the names with their own as requested, the girls were fast asleep by the end of it. Shutting the book quietly Ikaris watched as Michelle gave both of them a soft kiss on their forehead before tucking them in a bit more and gesturing for him to follow her out of the room.

"Thank you" she told him sincerely. "Can I offer you some tea?" She asked him, feeling as if she has to repay him for his kindness. "I'll help you" Ikaris said, guiding her towards the kitchen to give her a hand. "So, I overheard Sprite saying you guys have been around for a long while" Michelle stated, trying to somewhat sugarcoat it while looking around for some teabags. "You've heard how old we are" Ikaris stated, obviously not beating around the bush. "I get that that could scare you but look at it this way. I've waited for you for 7000 years. If I have to wait a little longer, I think I'll manage" he told her, assuring her that if she were to give him a chance he would take it as slow as she would want. "I-"

"Auntie M! Ikaris!" The both heard their name being called through sobs by the twins, making them rush up the stairs towards Michelle's room. "Lizzie! Josie! What's wrong?" Michelle asked while they stormed into the room. Looking around, Ikaris noticed nothing out of the ordinary, making him slightly shake his head towards Michelle who caught on and figured they probably had a bad dream. "The monster from this afternoon was coming after us again" Lizzie said while crying, making Michelle hug her tightly while assuring her that the monster was gone. "But we saw it and it was coming so close" Josie cried out. "Oh sweetie, the monsters can't come here, alright? And if they did, I would protect you" "but what about you?" Josie asked shakily. "I would protect your aunt, girls. No harm will come to her or you on my watch, alright?" Ikaris told them in a soothing voice, making Michelle swoon a bit.

"Do you want me to stay with you for now?" Michelle asked the two girls. "Can Ikaris stay as well?" Lizzie asked, looking at said man. "Sure girls. I'll make sure nothing happens to you." Ikaris said, taking a seat on the chair next to the bed, while Michelle layed on her half of the bed. She felt a bit guilty that Ikaris had to sit in the old chair so she offered him to come lay next to her for the time being. "It's alright love. I'm fine here. You go to sleep." "No, really. Come lay here. I'll feel bad if you hurt your back because of that ratchet chair." "Are you sure?" Ikaris asked again "just come here" Michelle ordered him, making Ikaris carefully lay down next to his mate. This children were on the other side of her and he tried to give as much space as possible without falling of the bed.

They weren't entirely sure how it happened but the eternal and human woke up because of small giggles and whispers. Michelle tried to ignore it at first and cuddle deeper into her mattress until the mattress pulled her closer towards it. Mattresses don't do that. Opening her eyes she saw she was laying with her head on Ikaris' chest and his arms around her waist. He was still asleep, making Michelle smile a little before she heard "auntie m and Ikaris sitting in a tree k-i-s-s-i-n-g" making Ikaris wake up and look at Michelle's face and immediately apologizing "I'm sorry love. We must have cuddled together when we fell asleep." "No need to apologize. I- uh I kinda liked it" she admitted making Ikaris smile to himself and pull her a bit closer before kissing her temple "good to hear, love. Now I've heard you make a mean pancake. Need some help?" "Yeah, that would be great. Thanks. Just let me get changed real quick." Michelle told him, pulling away from their position and rushing towards her bathroom after getting some clothes.

She was falling for him, she realized. And she was falling hard.