Chapter 9- Miracles

Author's note: Welcome back to 'Leave Me'! My excitement is barely under control as I finally have the opportunity to reintroduce the Cullens back into this story.

Before we begin, a couple of important things for you guys to know: everything that happened in the HP and the Order of the Phoenix also happened in my story up until the moment we are about to see now ;) However, there are some very slight differences which will become evident as the story continues- I will mention these in more detail when they come up in future chapters.

Enough from me for now, I truly hope you guys enjoy this chapter!

Leave Me

Chapter 9- Miracles

February, 1995 (Harry Potter's 5th Year at Hogwarts)

Dumbledore's POV

With swiftness and discretion, I crept out of my school through its grand oak doors. Once outside, my attention was immediately captured by the sunset. Dusk truly is a beautiful time of day; the sky was a superb combination of deep orange, pale purple, and red-pink, and it made me smile; not even magic could create something so beautiful. I descended down the stairs and walked several steps to my right. I paused and allowed myself a moment to watch the sun begin its journey towards the other side of the world. I marvelled at the sun; an entity so powerful that its very essence demands that others revolve around it. So beautiful, and yet it would destroy anything that dared venture close to it. So admired, and yet... untouchable.

I sighed, and then turned my back to the sun as I made my way towards the Forbidden Forest. I drew my wand from my robes and silently lit its tip so its light could guide me through the woodland. I glanced at my watch and estimated how long I would have before Dolores Umbridge would unleash the next form of destruction she had planned for my school.

Two hours- perhaps a little more if I was lucky. I sent a silent prayer to Minerva; I hoped she would be able to send her Patronus to me should my guess be incorrect.

Refocusing on my goal and the path before me, I continued to walk forward. I could feel the soil and undergrowth gently depress beneath my weight, supporting me on this cool night. The forest felt peaceful and I relished being amongst nature and away from my office where I had been indulging myself in prolonged, deep contemplation for far too long. I inhaled, my lungs filling with brisk, fresh air, and then gently held out my left hand to feel the smooth bark of the majestic tree next to me. In my long life, I have learnt that nothing we make can hope to compare to Mother Nature, which includes, of course, the encapsulation of what it means to be human. Although I have never been permitted to enter the Department of Mysteries, I do not believe even our greatest efforts could hope to truly understand what it means to love or to live. It is immeasurable and untouchable just like the sun, and so it should be.

I allowed my lips to form a rueful smile as I indulged in my thoughts, however unhelpful they may be. Severus met with me last night after his second Occlumency lesson with Harry. I had been hopeful that the boy would demonstrate some promise in the invaluable skill, but Severus insisted he does not. It was difficult for me to determine whether I should trust Severus' judgement- though I trust him implicitly in several other matters, with regard to Harry Potter, I can never be certain. After expressing his concern that Harry would never learn Occlumency, Severus suggested that I do something incredibly obvious to him, and utterly inconceivable to me.

"Why not just tell him the truth, Dumbledore?" Severus asked with a particular bite in his tone.

I chuckled quietly, a small smile on my lips as I made eye contact with my very able, highly rational Potions Master.