Chapter XXIV

"And I've got no doubt that the only way out of this thriller is if I am a killer too, is if I am a killer too"

- Killer by Valerie Broussard

That night we gathered just before the sun went down, and the customary hypnotism took place, with Mina's answer this time being, "I can't see anything. We are still, and there are no waves, and if there are, they aren't making any noise. There is, however, water running against the ropes. Men's voices are calling, and the oars are creaking. Someone fires a gun somewhere, but the echo seems far away. People are walking overhead. I can hear their footsteps." 

All of the sudden, she gasped. 

"I can see light! I can feel the air!"

She immediately snapped out of her trance. 

This meant Dracula was awake, and he was out of his coffin. 

Mina seemed disoriented and not entirely conscious of what was going on. "Would any of you like a cup of tea?" she asked, holding the heel of her hand to her forehead. "You must all be so tired." She groaned. "My head hurts."

"Go get us all some tea," Van Helsing told her. 

Once she'd gone, he began talking about our problems. Bess and I were kind of skulking in the shadows of the corner, but that doesn't excuse the fact that he didn't notice we were there. 

God, it sounds so fucking convenient, right? Also completely unbelievable, in addition to all that. But like, someone who obviously chooses to be oblivious to your entire existence is very hurtful.

Whatever, he learned his lesson, and you guys get to hear about him learning it! How fun!

"You see, my friends," Van Helsing said, "he is close to land, and he has left his earth box. But he hasn't gotten to shore yet. During the night, he may stay hidden somewhere, but if he isn't carried ashore, or the ship isn't touching it, he cannot go on land."

I don't need to explain that this is bullshit, do I? Yeah, didn't think so. 

"But he can, in the night, change his form and jump or fly to shore, as he did in Whitby. But if the day comes before he can get onshore, then he cannot escape unless he is carried. And if he's carried, then customs may discover what the box contains. So, if he doesn't escape onshore tonight or before dawn, then he loses a whole day. Then we may arrive in time, because if he doesn't escape at night, we shall find him during the day, all boxed up and at our mercy, for he wouldn't dare to be his true self, lest he be discovered."

Have I said that I wanted to bang my head against a wall? There were so many flaws with this plan. 

One - obviously, Dracula could get to shore whenever he wanted to.

Two - he would be able to transform during the day, too.

Three - he would also totally reveal his identity. He could easily slaughter all of us, run off the ship, and then cut a clear path through the populace before they could realize what was happening until he managed to find somewhere to hide. 

I fell asleep that night with the knowledge that, while my destruction was imminent, at least it was unlikely to come tomorrow, and that was oddly comforting.

We all rose at the crack of dawn the next morning before the train so we could witness Mina's hypnotic trance. 

"All is dark. I hear lapping water, at around the same level as me, and some wood creaking." 

But before we knew it, the sun was up, and I was once again forced to endure an unfathomable day on a train. 

I hated everything. The train. Van Helsing, for making me go on the train. Mina, for informing me of the train. Practically everyone I knew, for trying to hunt Dracula, so I had to go on the train. And last but definitely not least, Dracula, for requiring hunting.