Play Date

The morning was filled with gleeful screams as Marine laughed fighting with his very excited child to put clothes on her. Jasmine fought against it, squealing, screaming, and complaining that it’s taking too long. “Now my dear, you know that you have to wear clothes in town, it’s only taking this long because you are fighting me on this.” Marine tried his best to hide his laugh behind his toothy grin switching to a stern fatherly look when his daughter pouts up at him logic having finally kicked in. She had a playdate with her best friend Sable, Rita had practically trapped Marine into the deal having mentioned it to Jasmine infront of him making it impossible to say no. Rita had smirked evilly when Jasmine gave him the kitten eyes right as he was about to say no, and therefore, lost the battle.

“Dad! Hurry up, do my hair please! I want to see Sable!" Jasmine groaned when he wasn’t quick enough to do her request she ran around the room in circles making herself dizzy as she squeals and screams. Marine grabbed the comb and scissors to give her a trim. She insisted she have ‘daddy’s hair’ even though she could easily have longer prettier hair. He didn’t have the heart to deny her anything if he could help it. Jasmine sat on the floor in-between Marines knees while he sat on the bed and began to trim the dead ends of her Mo-hawk that imitates his natural mane. He combed the front fringe to the side somewhat covering her scar above her green eye just like she likes. He finally got her to stop begging last week to get it dyed, he came up with some harebrained excuse like 'dye is poisonous to those under 20 summers!' And then got called old.

Jasmine seemed to buzz on the floor waiting to be allowed up, her cheeks puffed with air in her annoyance until Marine gave the go ahead for her to get up and grab her small pouch and cape as it was getting colder these days, the sun seemed to set far sooner than usual and the trees began to shift colors reminding him of a fire across the forest floor, the dirt path he always took to town seemed to wear down more and more each day as tiny paws followed him, twisting and dancing around next to him bringing a beautiful wave of colors with them. Everything seems more beautiful through a child's eyes. To be able to share how beautiful everything is with the simple wonder shining in her eyes at things she's seen a million times. Making this dusty old path seem welcoming and beautiful.

“Daddy! Hurry up! I wanna go! Hurry your big furry butt papa!” Jasmine huffed again, gripping Marine’s hand and attempting to drag him off the bed. This snapped Marine out of his daze with a smile on his face. He crouched growling playfully at Jasmine after depositing the scissors and comb into a bucket “You better run, the tickle monster is gonna get you for being mean to your old man!” Jasmine squeals gleefully and slid down the ladder and to the ditch beside the path, Marine gave her a head start and grabbed his cloak and pouch, sliding down the ladder much the same and chased his darling daughter through their path, her darting between trees and in bushes. Marine kept a moderate pace, letting his little girl outrun him to give her the thrill of winning, he would speed up and pretend to snatch her and then ‘miss’ and she’d run faster and giggle and laugh, filling the trees with her beautiful voice.

Right before town he caught her and tackled her onto his chest, tickling her sides and blowing sweet raspberries on her belly, “The tickle monster wins this round! Admit defeat or he might not stop,” Marine shouted maniacally with evil laughter as he blew another raspberry on her belly. “Stop it Daddy! Mini Monster gives up! Tickle monster wins!” She shouted between tears of laughter, when he stopped she tried to gasp for breath with a smile on her face, she nuzzled her Daddy’s chest as he carried her the rest of the way to town.

Marine smiled as Jasmine tucks herself into his chest, his grin faded as per usual when he reached town. He no longer has to wear the cloak over his face as he has become well known enough for it not to matter. Oddly, no one bothered him but no one interacted beyond necessity either. He was just a neutral being existing in the town from time to time, he could be grateful for that at least, hostility with a child in tow would not be great. He took the usual path to Rita’s store, it had expanded recently and so had her family. She had met a young male fox that captured her heart after her previous mate's passing she had stated Sable was all she needed but that had been such a long time ago. Marine was happy she was able to move on and find love and happiness again. He knew the previous mate only briefly before his passing, a town guard died protecting a child and it’s sibling from a wild beast. The children live and still come with their mother to pay respect to Rita and her old mates urn. An honorable death for a father and guard if there ever was one. Sable looks so much like him and shares a lot of his values thanks to Rita.