Chapter 18: The Farewell

Even though Lenore was clear on her choice, something inside was eating at her to change her mind. She had taken one of the speeders out for a drive. It was risky. They had made a huge effort to keep their whereabouts hidden in case any disgruntled slavers decided to come around or sent a bounty hunter after them.

She pulled off to a vista point overlooking the city. It was a special place. Her and Jord would come here on occasion to be alone. She paced back and forth trying to reason with herself.

No you can't go. People need your help, she thought. But it's Jord.

"Lenore?" It was Wyb over the speeder's commlink. He sounded sleepy and worried. "Where did you go?"

"What are you doing awake?" Lenore asked.

"I saw you leave," Wyb said. "Are you coming back?"

"Of course," She said.

She didn't realize she had scared him. She felt horrible. The last thing she wanted was to make Wyb feel as though she would abandon him. Her mind was made up. She was going to stay. Wyb wasn't the only one she was responsible for. There were countless others. She couldn't run off with Jord. She couldn't leave them behind. She had too much work to do. She hopped back on the speeder and headed back to their base.

They told the group the next morning. Everyone was shocked. They figured as long as Lenore was around, Jord would be by her side. No one was surprised that Lenore was staying behind. She was the organization. She was completely dedicated, some thought too dedicated. Some even joked that if the rebels had welcomed her into the rebellion they would have won the war sooner. The truth was Lenore was dedicated out of guilt. She knew she'd never make up for joining the Empire and thought she didn't deserve to.

Jord would take off after they completed their next job and head back toward Corellia. He hadn't been back since he was a teenager and he was curious to see what the New Republic had done for his home planet. He could start over there.

Lenore and the usual crew were stationed at the top of a canyon. They could see their targeted transport in sight. Four slaves and two other cargo crates full of supplies and weapons. Lenore and Jord recognized many of the weapons. Some must have been from the arena. Rima and Tev were ecstatic.

"Look!" Rima exclaimed, but Tev smacked him to be quiet. "Can you imagine what we could get for those?"

"Our main target is the prisoners," Lenore reminded them.

"But it's all in the same run. Couldn't we just this once do something that would give us a good chunk of credits?" Rima pretested.

Lenore looked at Jord to read his face. He wasn't the same. He looked impatient for the job to be over and done with so he could leave.

"Tell you what." she said. "You two lazer brains stop complaining. You get this done in record time and I'll let Jord make the call."

They all were surprised, even Jord. He smiled knowing it was a big gesture for Lenore to give him a say on how things went.

"They're on the move. Be careful," she said. Rima and Tev took off on their speeders down the side of the canyon.

"Going soft on my last day?" Jord asked.

"Is that so bad?" She said, "It won't be the same without you."

"It better not be," he said and put on his goggles. "Especially because today I am going to beat you down the hill Trooper." Smiling, he took off on his hoverboard.