Chapter 22 : The Benefactress

"Well well well Kina, you're a sight for sore eyes," Peli Motto said walking over wiping her hands as her crew of droids sprang into action to service the Revenant.

"Hello Peli. I've got a present for you." Kina said. She handed her the sack that held the dead puffer pig and mynocks.

"Do ya now? You're a sweetheart," She took the sack and peeked inside. "Mynocks wow. Thanks. What's the other?"

"Puffer pig," Kina said and motioned to R3 to tell Motto's droids what needed attention.

"Hmm never had it before," Peli said curiously and slung the sack over her shoulder. "What can I do for you? Full service finally?"

"Afraid I'm a little short for that," Kina said.

"Uh huh, this present seems more like a bribe if you ask me." She set it down.

"All I need is to pick up a job, local if you know of one."

"HOLD IT!" Peli said to her droids. "No credits, no service. There's not enough exotic meat in the galaxy to change that fact Kina." The droids stopped suddenly and ran back to their station. R3 beeped at them disapprovingly and one of the droids turned back and blew a raspberry at him.

"Knock if off R3," Lenore said. She looked at Peli. She seemed like a reasonable person. "We need your help. Please, you're our only hope of getting off this desert ball."

"Who are you?" Peli asked, pointing at her arm. "Why should I help you? The Empire did nothing for me."

"Has the New Republic?" Kina countered. Peli said nothing. "Peli I'm not asking for a freebie. Just a delay in payment. Have I ever not paid?"

"Well no. You've always been one of the good ones," she admitted. "But times are hard. Hey Imperial, get away from those speeders! They're busted and I don't need them in worse condition than they are."

Lenore ignored Peli and examined the motor. The wires were fried but she could easily remove them and redirect the current to get the charge needed to ignite the engine. She was not an expert in mechanics, that was TK-888 speciality, but she still had a few tricks up her sleeves from her days on the Matno farm. She adjusted the wires and started the speeder. She turned around smiling at Peli who was not amused.

"Courtesy of your neighborhood stormtrooper," Lenore joked, though neither Kina or Peli found it funny.

"A five year old could do that." Peli said. Lenor wanted to tell her she was five when she learned the trick but held her tongue. "But it does save me some time I suppose. Alright Kina, I hear Lady Valarrian has been putting out contracts for treasure retrieval from Jabba's palace."

"That's bold of her," Kina said.

"Most of those who take the job haven't returned. I doubt Bib is responsible for the killings. But if you're looking for something to cover the costs of my services and to get you ladies wherever it is you need to go, that's the job to take." Peli said.

"How's your aim kid?" Kina called over to Lenore.

"Fair," Lenore knew it was more than fair but she didn't want to sound cocky.

"I think we can handle it." Kina said. "Mind looking after R3 while we work?"

"Pleasure," Peli said. "He can teach my droids a thing or two as well. Help yourself to the speeders. Traveling through the desert has gotten kind of tricky these days being migration season."

"Migration?" Lenore was puzzled. What migrated in the desert?

"Jawas and Sand People ! Where are you from Imp?" Peli asked.