Chapter 6 - Old Classmates

Chapter 6 – Old Classmates

If it was possible to choke on nothing, I think I was.

Sophia was here. At this party. In this room. Walking towards me with a wicked grin on her face… Great.

This girl had made my life miserable for a whole year, and now she was back. But for some reason I had my suspicions. This whole party was planned by Hazel and I knew her sudden characteristic change wasn’t normal, because if she did that on a regular basis, I was going to get whiplash.

Although my thoughts were right, Hazel was up too something, I had no idea she was going to make me face Sophia again. She walked up to me and gave a once over look with a little disgust on her face. “Hello Jacey, long time no see” She stated with an evil smirk

I kept my face natural, “Hello Sophia. It has been a little while since we last saw each other” I replied, Sammy shifted at my side “Oh and this is Sammy”

Sammy gave a short wave with a blank look on her face. Sophia wrinkled her nose a little, “Oh so you have a friend now, how lovely” Sophia replied sarcasm clear in her voice

At this statement Sammy cleared her throat and spoke up. “Friends” She corrected with a smirk “And they’re kinda waiting to talk to us so, bye” she looped her arm with mine and we walked away

When we were out of ear shot of Sophia I turned to Sammy and grinned “Have I ever told you how amazing you are”

“Oh Shucks, Come on lets go find someone to talk too. I understand why you were so upset by her being here. She’s really…annoying, snobby…” She trailed off returning a Cheshire cat grin

We both laughed and ended up running into Cara. “Hey guys! Great party hey. Although there are a couple of people I don’t recognise…” She chirped smiling sweetly at us

“Hey! Yeah the people are from my old school” I replied trying to hide the sadness in my voice, luckily my eyes didn’t betray me this time

After a quick chat with Cara, she skipped off to talk to a guy from school. That girl was always happy, I don’t know how but she was just a cheerful person. I smiled as she walked/skipped away.

“You wanna get a drink?” Sammy suggested; I nodded releasing how thirsty I actually was

Handing a Coca-Cola to her she smiled and took a big drink. She looked at me with an uncertain look on her face, “Hey Jace, I was wondering… I mean I don’t want to be nosey or anything but what happened at your old school? Why did you move?” She asked

I smiled slightly, I knew this topic was going to come up eventually. “Well it all began one day long ago, when my father met my mother…” I trailed off in a sing-song voice, Sammy just rolled her eyes at me and I laughed lightly

“Okay sorry, serious now.” I smiled at her and she nodded at me to continue “Well from the day I was born my eyes were like this. I grew up with kids teasing me and calling me a freak. So I just accepted the fact that I was different. My dad would always say to me ‘It’s not that your different Jace, it’s more to the point that you’re special’. He passed away when I was six years old. After that I sort of blocked out what everyone was saying about me and just got along with school. At some schools I was bullied really bad that I only stayed for a couple of months. I was young and I didn’t know how to control my emotions that well. Anyways, before my Dad died he gave me a present. He gave me a pair of giant shoes and said that when I finally fit into them that I would be a young woman” I paused remembering his comforting face smiling at me, Sammy was listening contently and so I continued “Every time I wore those shoes I felt like I was close to him, it sounded kind of silly, but I found comfort knowing that in Dads eyes where ever he might be that he would be proud of me for staying strong. About a year ago when I still at my old school with Sophia. Back then I was a pretty happy person and had some friends, I thought life was looking up for me. No one knew about my eyes and I tried to keep it that way. I finally had friends and was somewhat enjoying school. I got invited to a party, Sophia’s party. She never liked me from the very first day I set foot in that school I could tell that she hated me, and the funny thing is I had no idea why. I was at the party talking to one of my old friends when she purposely bumped me from behind. I was wearing the shoes that my Dad had gotten me. She made me spill my drink on my shoes. The last thing I had from my Dad after he died…” I trailed of looking at the ground and continued “I lost it, completely. I was so angry with her I turned around and faced her. In all my life I had never felt that much anger, by eyes we bright gold, glowing in fact. At first she was scared but she then showed her true colours. I left the party and burst into tears. The last present I had from my Dad was ruined, and the worst thing about is that she knew those shoes were special to me…”