Ch. 1: Girl, Girl, Girl!

Alone. Cold. Scared. Tired.

That's how it was, every day, trying not to die. Blood. There was always lots of blood. And I fought, multiple times a day, bruised and scratched up because of that.

My clothes were run down, crusted blood and mud making the original color wash out.

My hair was choppy. Every time I cut its grimy ends, my blade was dull and I didn't have a reflection, giving me the worst results.

Today, I needed food. It had been almost a week with no food. And no food, being starving, will drive you insane.

But, I did something I didn't usually do. I went deeper into the woods, in hope of being rewarded with bushes filled with fruit. But instead, I came across a farm.

Farm? Food? People...? People! There were people here! They could be dangerous! I wonder how long they've been here? I didn't know there were others...

I pressed my body against the wooden wall, the 'barn' I assumed, and looked out to the fields to see no one was out there. I walked cautiously, bending down to the dirt and grabbing at one of the leaves. A huge red fruit came up. I dusted off the dirt and bit into it quickly, red juice spilling down my chin.

It was bitter, not good at all, but it was food! Calories!

"Hey! Thief!" I heard a male voice, they sounded mad, their quick steps coming close to me.

I jumped up and staggered back as I stuffed the rest of the bitter fruit in my mouth, starting to sprint. But with lack of fuel, the male caught up to me in moments, tackling me to the ground.

"Sorry! Sorry! I'm just hungry!" I tried pushing him off, but he did that himself as he looked at me with wide eyes.

'Girl, girl, girl! High voice --- she has a high voice. Shiney hair. Pretty hair.'

It was like he was talking, but his mouth didn't move. It --- it was his thoughts.

I scanned his face, studying his clothes...along with his body.

Handsome. He was really handsome. Dirty, kind of smelled like manure, but his light brown hair was nice. He had a nice face. Nice face...

'Where'd girl come from? I am Todd Hewitt, I am Todd Hewitt!'

The noise that was coming from his mind was loud. But, that made sense. Thought's in general were loud...

"I'm from there." I point to the woods as I tried to stand up.

"Alone?" 'Girl all alone. Must be scared. Act like a man, be a man!' His voice was deep, or at least deeper than mine. He was anxious, his hands clasping together as he stared at me with watchful eyes.

'Pretty eyes. Eyes nice. I like (E/c) color.'

"I'm sorry about your fruit..." I wiped my mouth, the red juice surely staining my lips.

'Lips --- lip red. Lips look soft ---lips.' 

I scooted back again and finally got to my feet, taking in how much taller he was than me. He looked down at me, his thoughts quiet for a moment, then it came back.

'Tiny. The girl is small. She's short. Tiny.' He took a step toward me as I grabbed onto my bag tightly. 

He had a lot of muscle. He looked strong. It had been years since I had seen a man. And that was when I was a child...scratch that. This one, Todd Hewitt looked around my age.

"The beats aren't good anyway." He officially spoke, looking at me with furrowed brows.

"Yeah...they're not sweet..." I trailed off a the sight of two fully grown men made me stumble back.