Ch. 10: The End

I held onto Todd's limp hand, it being days since he'd opened his eyes.

"He's going to be okay, hun, you'll see." The Mayor patted my shoulder.

 My chest was so tight it felt like my heart would explode. Everything was cold, I was alone, I was scared, and I was tired. Without Todd, I was back to square one.

"Yeah." I forced a smile and watched as the Mayor walked out, me looking back at Todd with a shaky breath.

"If you don't wake up, I'm going to --" I cut myself off, "No, no, no, you will wake up." I had to stop talking, my throat closing in from sadness.

I laid down next to him, still holding his hand as I gently make myself comfortable. I could feel his breaths, his slow breaths. Them making me relax.

I lay with him for five more days, The Mayor worried at my lack of movement and nutrition, but, I didn't care. I needed to feel Todd's breathing.

On the fifth day, he moved. More specifically, he squeezed my hand.

"Todd?!" I shot up, scanning his face, his eyes, but he was still once more.

I slowed down my breathing once more and tucked myself back under the covers, hugging his arm.

Another three days passed, and he mumbled something. I couldn't hear what he had said but The Mayor said that this was a good sign! He just needed more rest...

Another two days...and he opened his eyes. 

"Todd!" He smiled, squeezing my hand as he tried to sit up but failed as he groaned in pain.

"Hey, hey take it slow, okay? Oh my God, you had me scared." I hugged him, him wrapping his arms around me slowly, uneasy from the pain but yet, he was smiling happily.

"I'm so glad you're okay." His voice was rough, not using it for several days took a toll on him.

"That I'm okay?! Are you crazy?" I held onto him carefully, running my hands through his dirty locks.

"I'm fine." He chuckled, pulling back as he looked at me with a smile.

I didn't know what it was. After almost losing him and having the realization of how important Todd had become to me, or maybe how handsome he looked, all scuffed up but he still had his warm smile. Maybe it was how he was holding me right now...

Whatever it was, something in me made me do it. Something in me made me kiss Todd Hewitt.

At first, we were both still, my lips frozen on his. He still held me but now his hands slid up to hold my face. His noise was going wild.

'She kissed me!!! Oh my God, she kissed me! Oh, this is amazing...' Our lips became more relaxed, Todd's noise changing into something that made me giddy.

'(Y/n), (Y/n), (Y/n), (Y/n), (Y/n), (Y/n), (Y/n), (Y/n), (Y/n), (Y/n), (Y/n), (Y/n), (Y/n), (Y/n), (Y/n), (Y/n)...' His only thoughts...were me...

_____________________________

It had been a year and a half since I had met Todd since Todd had saved me, and as I stared at the gorgeous fields in front of me, I laughed.

"What's funny?" Todd came from the quaint house behind me, our house. "Just thinking about it all, ya know?" He wrapped a hand around my waist, kissing me gently as he nodded. "It is crazy when you think about it, yeah." We both looked out at the fields, the fields that I had fallen in love with when Todd and I were traveling. Instead of a winter wonderland, it was warm and the grassy fields were covered in wildflowers.

I laughed again, the sight of Monche joyfully hopping across the acreage a happy sight.