Chapter I - Ritual

Eyes flickering open, Midoriya's head snapped up in surprise. He clocked his teacher and classmates at the opposite end of Class 1-A's form room, watching him intently. He glanced around the room then lowered his gaze to the restraints on his wrists and legs, binding him to a chair.

"Don't bother trying to escape. We'll just knock you out again," Aizawa deadpanned. To back up his statement, the students poised themselves in preparation to fight.

Midoriya looked back up at everyone with a perplexed and fearful expression. "W-why am I tied up? Why is there glass everywhere? What's going on?" The class appeared to be taken aback at his reaction.

Aizawa scrutinised him, "You're trying to trick us."

Midoriya blinked innocently, tears welling up in his eyes, "What did I do? I-I don't even remember how I got here."

——

One week ago

Midoriya inhaled sharply as he jumped awake in bed, coughing into the back of his hand. The humid air hung heavy in his room and small beads of sweat were gathered on his forehead. Crawling out of bed, he stepped lackadaisically over to his window and pushed it open. He bathed in the bliss of the cool zephyr for a moment as it smoothly drifted into his room and ruffled the curls of his hair. It was dark outside and the moon was in full bloom, casting eerie shadows across the grass and forestry below. Reaching for his phone on his desk, he sat back down on his bed and squinted at the dazzling screen, waiting for his eyes to adjust. When his vision cleared he could finally make out '23:54'. Glancing at the empty glass on his desk, he let out a haggard breath and stood up again, putting his slippers on. He was parched and in need of a refreshing glass of water.

Walking quiety down the hallway, he headed for the stairs but paused when he reached Tokoyami's room. Dim orange light was seeping through the slightly ajar door and he could hear hushed voices muttering incomprehensibly. He hovered his fingers over the handle, hesitating at his impending intrusion as he didn't want to seem rude by barging into someone else's room.

A precipitous shriek came from inside the room, startling Midoriya. Before he knew it, his reflex had driven him swiftly inside and he nearly tripped over someone sat on the floor. He froze as he absorbed the sight before him and four pairs of eyes stared back at him, equally as nonplussed.

Tokoyami, Kaminari, Jirou and Shinsou were sat in a circle around a pentagram painted in red on a large piece of paper. Candles were scattered across various places in the room and the lights were dimmed down to a sickly orange.

Midoriya blinked in bewilderment, utterly speechless.

"Midoriya-kun! You scared the shit outta me... What's up, man?" Kaminari spoke nonchalantly, as if whatever activity they were currently participating in was completely normal.

"What's going on...? I heard a scream." Midoriya managed to force out.

Jirou laughed sheepishly, "Oh, that was me. The idiot thought it would be funny to make me jump just as we were starting the ritual." She elbowed Kaminari in the ribs, who pouted and rubbed his side.

"Ritual?"

"Yes. We're doing a ritual to summon the Devil," Shinsou replied, dead serious.

"Oh. I see..."

Tokoyami nodded to Shinsou's statement. "You are welcome to join us if you'd like, Midoriya," he offered.

"Yeah, bro!" Kaminari said and they all looked at Midoriya expectantly.

"I-I'm good, thanks." He replied awkwardly but then he hesitated to rethink his answer. "Actually, can I hang here with you guys? Not—to perform any rituals but just to watch. I find it hard to get back to sleep after I wake up."