Table Read

"Why did it have to be her, of all people?!" Jennie groans, her head face down on a table. "Anyone else. It could have been anyone else."

Jongin Kim, more commonly known amongst his friends as Kai, pats Jennie on the shoulder in an attempt at sympathy. "She can't be that bad," he says. "She's kinda hot."

Jennie makes a strangled sound and curls her hands into fists on the table. "Attractiveness doesn't change the fact that she's an insufferable hypocrite that thinks she's so-"
Her little mumbled rant is cut off by a cough. Her voice trails away as she turns to see none other than Lisa Manoban, smiling faux-sweetly down at her.

"Jennie. Charming as ever, I see," she says, dropping into her designated seat which is, unfortunately, right next to hers.

"Lisa. Pleasure to see you again," Jennie replies, sounding as if it was anything but.

It's their first official day working on the Romeo and Juliet production, and first on the agenda is a table read. Jennie doesn't see why that means she has to sit next her, but she supposes it makes sense. At some point in the near future she's going to have to kiss her and... ugh. She doesn't want to think about that.

More people begin to file in and slowly the room fills up with people that Jennie doesn't know but will soon become familiar with. As soon as every seat is taken, the director (who Jennie soon learns is Lisa's uncle) stands, a big smile on his face.

"Well, I won't prolong this with a big speech," he says. "So let's just get right down to it. I'm Jay Park, and I'm the director."

He sits, and then one by one everyone around the table introduces themselves and their role. Jennie recognizes no one until a tall blonde man stands, and says "I'm Kim Namjoon, but everyone calls me RM. I wrote the script."

Jennie and Namjoon had known each other for quite a while, having met each other in school. They hadn't really had much contact in recent years, but Jennie's glad to see him again. She flashes the man a smile, who returns it before sitting back down.

More people say their names. She recognizes Lisa's cousin, who stands lazily and introduces herself as Rosie, remarking that her real name is Chaeyoung and she'll thump anyone who releases that to the press. Some people shrink back into their seats. From the corner of her eye, she can see Lisa smirking.

Kai introduces himself, and reveals that he's playing Tybalt. Then a set of twins stand, introducing themselves as Kwon Young Deuk and Kwon Don.

Then it's her turn to stand up. "I'm Jennie Kim," she says. "And I'm playing Juliet."

There are a few claps and a cheer, and Jennie gives a small smile before sitting back down.

Lisa stands up, and smiles at the whole room. "I'm Lisa Manoban, and I'm playing Romeo."

There are more claps, and soon enough the reading is underway.

————

"Here's much to do with hate but more with love, why then, O brawling love, O loving hate, O anything of nothing first created!"

Lisa watches Jennie as her voice glides over the words and she decides that she hates her. She already knew that she disliked the girl, but now that she knew she was good at reading Shakespeare, it had only made it worse. She wanted her to stumble over her first reading, wanted to have trouble with some of it, and here she was making music out of words like she was born to do this.

When it's her turn to read, she adds her own melody to the words, and does her best not to smile smugly when she sees Jennie watching her from the corner of her eye.