chapter 5: The Forgotten Kiss

Another week went by and all went back to the usual. I was just letting out Malcolm out after he brought the groceries and had a chat with me about the usual. "See you Y/n, stay well."

"You too Malcolm." I wave him off as he hops into his car and drives off. I close the door behind me and walk towards the kitchen where Brahms was eating his dinner, Malcolm had come later then last time. when I took a look at his plate, he had once again eaten all of his food so I patted his head as appraisal. I took his plate after I had finished my serving and started cleaning them up.

"Okay Brahms, since you've been so good for the past couple of days, I'm going to read two chapters this time," I dry up the plates and put them away, "Now come on, let's get you ready for bed."

I pick him up and do the usual; clean his face, change his clothes, and read him the two chapters. "Goodnight Brahms, see you in the morning," I tuck him is to bed, turn the lights off and walk to my room to get ready for bed, 'I didn't forget anything did I... well it shouldn't be too important.'

I had just tucked myself into bed and was about ready to fall asleep.

*minutes later*

I was abruptly woken by a terrible nightmare. It was of the Brahms doll laying on his bed with papers scattered all around his room, when I got up to him and tried to inspect him, his face suddenly turned towards me out of nowhere.

I was taking a lot of deep breaths as I tried to calm myself, "Is there supposed to be a meaning behind that..." I got the thought of checking on Brahms so I got out of bed and walked towards his room.

I found that the door was opened and Brahms sitting on the side of his bed. I stared in shock at the familiarity to my dream, I saw that he had the list of rules next to him which made me remember that I forgot to give Brahms a goodnight kiss. 'Why would I just forget something that seems very important, I should do that right now.'

Before I could act on my thoughts though, the phone that is designated for my room started to ring so I took one more glance at Brahms before going back to my room to answer it. "Hello..." I wait for someone to answer it, wondering who could be calling at this hour.

"Y/n..." I recognised the voice and wondered why he couldn't just talk to me without the phone. "Yes, Brahms, what's the matter?" I still felt a bit shaken up by the whole thing but kept my cool. "You forgot the goodnight kiss, why didn't you follow the rules?" I felt so terrible now knowing that I had forgotten something very important to him.

"I'm sorry I forgot Brahms, I'll make sure to remember next time. Do you want me to give you a goodnight kiss now?" There was some shuffling on the other side of the phone before he spoke again, "Yes please..."

"Okay Brahms, I'm going to hang up now." I heard a hum and put down the phone.

I walked over to Brahms' room once more and he was now laying down in bed with the paper nowhere to be seen, but on the night stand there was a plate with a sandwich and folded piece of paper next to it. I took the paper and saw that is said the sandwich was mine as a way to say thank you for remembering. "Thank you Brahms, I promise I'll remember to give you a goodnight kiss from now on," I lean over and give him a kiss on the cheek, "Goodnight Brahms."

I grab the plate and paper, walking back to my room to let Brahms sleep. I sat down at my desk to eat it, I took a bite out of it and realised it was a Vegemite sandwich, "That was thoughtful of him to make a Vegemite one," I smiled as I ate it then I glanced over to my sketchbook, "Maybe I should draw him something in return, even if I'm already going to do that by remembering to give him the goodnight kisses."

I put down my half eaten sandwich and grabbed my sketchbook to draw something for Brahms. "What should I draw for him... maybe us drinking tea together... yeah that would be nice." So I put pencil to paper and got started.

*30 minutes later*

"Hmm... that should do it," I look at the sketch satisfied with how it turned out, I check the time to see that it was close nine, "now for bed, don't want to be too tired tomorrow." I got up from the desk and walked over to my bed, tucking myself in and getting comfortable.

'I wonder how the Heelshires are doing, I hope they're enjoying themselves...' I slowly drifted off to sleep not knowing that the Heelshire had taken their own lives and sent a letter to Brahms saying he can keep me.