1 | change of scenery

"Why do you want this job?" The guy, middle aged and balding badly, looks at me from behind thick glasses

"Why do you want this job?" The guy, middle aged and balding badly, looks at me from behind thick glasses. He puts my sorry excuse of a resume on the desk in front of him, folding his hands together like he's more important than he is.

"Why do I want the job?" I repeat, pushing my fingers through my hair. Surprisingly, I hadn't expected to answer this question.

It's not really the type of job a person is passionate about, if you know what I mean.

A number of possible replies run through my head, none of which I can say out loud without being told to get lost.

To get fucking paid, that's one reason.

Okay, it's the only reason.

I clench and unclench my fist against my jeans, glaring out the small window in his office. More like a closet, but he called it his office, so...

Kids, ranging from really young to... older, I guess, run about the playground, shouting, laughing, drawing over the cement in brightly colored sidewalk chalk.

"Mr. Larson?" The man mutters, eyeing me suspiciously.

"Parker." I almost bark, disgusted with the use of my last name. Mr. Parker is and has always been, my father. The stuck-up prick that he is. "Um right, well. I really need a job."

Emma, wife to my best friend Beau Lewis, and one of my own closest allies, has prepared me better than this. We practiced and everything. I rack my brain for the flash cards she made me, covered in interview questions and ways I could make myself sound better than I really am.

I lick my lips and continue quickly, coming up with some happy-as-shit sounding lie and spewing it easily.

"But I wanted something that felt more meaningful." I glance out the window again, to the kiddos playing in the grass, and my mind goes to my nephews, Danny, Mark, and Nick, and to my god-daughter, Maggie. "And I really like kids."

"You understand," The man, Principal Rivers, says, in a tone I'm trying not to take as condescending, "That this position has very little direct contact with the children."

Meeting his eyes and resisting the urge to roll my own, I nod slowly. "Yes." I cover my fist with my other hand, "Yes, I'm aware that the janitorial position has minimal contact with the students."

With a sigh, the man goes back to reviewing my resume. Even with Emma's help, her writing skills and college experience to boot, my resume is shit.

Something about a couple year stint in various rehab programs when I should've been in college isn't so appealing to prospective employers. Especially when you've got a couple years of doing absolutely nothing immediately following it.

I let out a sigh of my own. I can't live off Beau and Emma anymore - I've lived in their spare room far too long already. A few years too long, in fact. And they aren't kicking me out - I'm one of the family, as they always tell me - rather, I'm kicking myself out.