5 | sober thoughts

"What an asshole

"What an asshole."

My best friend, and former asshole turned doting husband and father of the freaking year, Beau Lewis, raises his eyebrows at me like he can't believe the words coming out of my mouth.

He sinks into an oversized leather sofa, hanging his head over the back to call into the kitchen of his lake house. His family home, one that houses him and Emma, his wife, and their little girl, Maggie. And me for awhile. Whenever I need, or so they like to remind me.

"Em, please tell Parker I'm right and that he's being a huge asshole." Beau continues to stare into the kitchen, with a longing I've never come close to understanding.

Emma comes into the room then, a checkered apron around her waist, blonde hair in a messy knot on her head, somehow still covered in flour despite her efforts to keep it out of the ingredients, and Beau's eyes light up. I don't know if he even knows it, but as she sashays into the room, he starts to smile.

"I haven't heard the full story to judge." Emma shrugs, settling into the arm rest beside Beau so that he wraps his arm around her waist and rests his head on her shoulder easily. Comfortably, like they were made to sit just like that. Emma runs a dainty hand over the recently shaved sides of Beau's head, fingertips catching in the long hair on top, asking, "What'd I miss?"

I open my mouth to answer but before I can, Beau beats me to it. "The girl he likes asked him out. You know what this asshole said?" Beau asks, still harsh, but some of the edge in his voice softening.

Everything about him softens when Emma is around. Like butter in the sun, he melts for her, and her only.

Even now, in the middle of mocking me, he gazes up at her, twisting a lock of hair that's fallen from her elastic around a tattooed finger, admiring her like a schoolboy in love.

Maybe I'd be uncomfortable with their obvious flirting if it hadn't been this way since I'd met them. Well... since I met them together. Meeting Beau for the first time during rehab, and comparing him to the person he is now... You wouldn't believe the difference if you weren't around to see it. And I know a huge part of that change is this woman sitting with us now.

"What did you say?" Emma asks like she's holding her breath in anticipation. Like she can't wait to hear it. It's just how she is with the people she cares about - she really does want to know.

Again, before I can reply, Beau barks out a laugh, still twirling her hair around his fingers. "He said 'No thanks.'"

"No thanks?" Emma looks from her husband, back to me, dark eyes wide and confused. Ignoring Beau's hands running through her hair, she asks, "That's it?"

"Let me explain," I sigh at the same time as Beau replies, "That's it."

"I'm sure there's more to the story-" Emma is ever patient, ever understanding. I know she had to be, to be with Beau. I figure I probably need someone like that, too, someone who evens me out, smooths out my edges like she does for him.