PROLOGUE

— PROLOGUE

PROLOGUE.

⠀⠀⠀⠀The slowly rotating fan did little to combat the harsh heat of the Spanish summer

⠀⠀⠀⠀The slowly rotating fan did little to combat the harsh heat of the Spanish summer. She watched the fan, eyes following the five blades as it spun round and round. The distant sound of people rose from the market below and into the room, becoming a white noise that filled her ears. Her attention was drawn from the ceiling to the man that lay next to her as his pointer finger played with a strand of her blonde hair.

⠀⠀⠀⠀"Where has your mind gone, dear Katharina?" He mused, dark eyes focused solely on her. His gaze never faltered as she answered, stayed just as intense. His gaze was always intense.

⠀⠀⠀⠀"Nowhere," she sighed, her hand reaching for his own.

⠀⠀⠀⠀"You have a tell," he replied, allowing her fingers to grasp his. "Did you know that?" He tilted his head in a way one does when they're asking a rhetorical question, a question that doesn't need to be answered. "When you lie, your eyes shift to the right for a fraction of a second."

⠀⠀⠀⠀It was a movement that others would never notice. Only someone who knew her well would ever be able to pick up on such a thing. Of course, he had picked up on such a thing. He knew everything about her through his own observation or her own admission.

⠀⠀⠀⠀"I think you know me too well, Andrés," she replied, moving his hand, so it was a few inches in front of her face. She studied the needle scars that permeated his knuckles, the only sign that he was sick.

⠀⠀⠀⠀Andrés knew she was overthinking once more, obsessing over his diagnosis. He allowed her to kiss his knuckles before swiftly positioning her, so she straddled his hips in one fluid motion. Her golden hair fell down her back now, a testament to the piece of artwork he found her to be. "I don't think such a thing is possible, bella. And even if it is, you know me equally as well, do you not?"

⠀⠀⠀⠀"I know you better than your own brother," she said, a hint of sadness in her tone. "You should tell him."

⠀⠀⠀⠀"So you've told me," he mumbled, capturing her lips in a kiss so she would talk no more about the subject. While she worried over his Helmer's Myopathy, he did not. He didn't care to spend any moment of his life discussing such things. He preferred to spend it living. And living he was with her in his arms.