ii. into the lion's den

— CAPÍTULO DOS: INTO THE LION'S DEN

CAPÍTULO DOS: INTO THE LION'S DEN

— CAPÍTULO DOS: INTO THE LION'S DEN

( D-DAY, MINUTE 10 )

⠀⠀⠀⠀War, at the very core, is a game of strategy. Whoever attacks first has time to prepare. But whoever's defends the attack won't have any time to. Strategic maneuvers were one of the things the Professor was phenomenal at. He knew that once money began to rain from the sky, Colonel Prieto would demand the armed forces enter the city; that was the Colonel's improvised defense plan, to fortify everything and put Madrid on an alert level of five. However, that was exactly the plan. The Colonel was blindly walking into the trap.

⠀⠀⠀⠀Donning the standard Spanish military uniforms, the group restlessly awaited the Professors orders. The next part of the plan was to act as a platoon unit sent to the Bank of Spain in response to an ordered state of emergency. The hard part? Finding out which platoon to impersonate. The even harder part? Waiting.

⠀⠀⠀⠀Palermo sat at the folding table, his leg bouncing as adrenaline forced his body to move. His eyes shifted between scattered papers and the radio that would be used to communicate with the Professor. Behind him, Tokyo paced back and forth, eager to begin the second heist. The sooner they got inside the bank, the sooner she would see Rio again.

⠀⠀⠀⠀Bogotá and Helsinki stood at the other folding table; their backs turned to the others as they focused on checking their weapons. The two triple-checked that the guns were loaded and functioning. One could never have enough firepower during a time of war, and the group was certainly going to need it.

⠀⠀⠀⠀Vienna and Kyoto were perched on the hood of the military truck hidden in the abandoned plane hangar. An exorbitant amount of money, which the group had, could buy almost anything off the black market: military-grade vehicles, assault weapons, rocket launchers, an entire team of Pakistani's dedicated to being the Professors personal I.T. department.

⠀⠀⠀⠀Every person had a different way of preparing for the situation they were about to enter willingly, and as a seasoned soldier, Vienna wasn't as on edge as the others. She still had general anxiety that stayed buried inside her mind, but she was far calmer than her comrades. Besides, she wasn't there to pull off a heist or steal any gold. She was there to complete a rescue mission. After that, she was out. She knew her escape plan by heart. While the others would remain inside the bank, she would not.