vii. unspoken things

— CAPÍTULO SIETE: UNSPOKEN THINGS

CAPÍTULO SIETE: UNSPOKEN THINGS

— CAPÍTULO SIETE: UNSPOKEN THINGS

( ONE WEEK BEFORE D-DAY )

⠀⠀⠀⠀A comfortable silence had fallen over the monastery, the only sound being distant crickets and soft snores. Despite rising at dawn and preparing for the heist months, Vienna found herself wandering the halls in the middle of the night. The twinkling starlight entered through the large windows, bathing her in a pale light.

⠀⠀⠀⠀She came to a stop in front of a painting she had seen once before. It was a portrait Andrés had commissioned of none other than himself. The brushstrokes captured his likeness almost exactly, and it seemed as if he could have emerged from the canvas at any second and stood next to her.

⠀⠀⠀⠀He would have placed his hand on the small of her back and promised to have one of her commissioned by the finest artist in the world. He had told her such a thing when he first revealed the artwork, saying that he wished to have hers hang next to his above the fireplace mantle.

⠀⠀⠀⠀She had rolled her eyes all those years ago, brushed him off, and flat out refused. She had called it stupid and a waste of money, for he could always turn his cheek and look at her. But now, standing before the painting, she understood his reasons.

⠀⠀⠀⠀The memory had been encapsulated in the paint, frozen at the moment, forever unchanging. Art could stand the test of time while flesh could not. Frozen, subjects of masterpieces had all the time in the world on the canvas. That was something the viewer would never have. Time.

⠀⠀⠀⠀She had left, and he had died.

⠀⠀⠀⠀Palermo had decided to spend the night revisiting the plan. He knew that nothing would be revised or edited, but it was in doing so that he felt closest to Andrés, felt that he might still be alive. However, instead of finding solace, he found Vienna.

⠀⠀⠀⠀"You should be asleep," he said, making his presence known. She turned to look over her shoulder, a soft smile on her lips but sorrow in her eyes.